Words of Wisdom

Youth is wasted on the young.

Friday 21 December 2007

Small Print: the job of the wife is to be a hostess and BBQ organiser



OK, that was Thursday. Phew it has been HOT again today! I really must find a more accurate weather widget. I sat down at the computer wiping the sweat from my brow and glad I was in out of the searing sun and the weather widget said 24C!!!! HAH

The BA and I cleaned up around the pool today as we have a staff BBQ here tomorrow (make that today it is very late/early in the morning). Whoever landscaped our pool thought planting two palm trees in conjunction with the existing gum tree would make the whole thing look more exotic. Huh. Mostly it just generates leaves and nasty little seedy things which hurt your feet when you step on them. Oh, and gum leaves do. not. break. down. They just build up in crusty little eucalyptus scented piles.

So I've vacuumed the top patio area (seen here on left of photo) and the BA has diligently removed all the leaves from the pool. No 2 Son has raked the front yard again (the gum tree is shedding its bark and the place is a mess) under sufferance and promises of money (not from me :-(....). Tonight I have made a cheesecake, pre boiled potatoes for the potato salad, soaked the fruit for the pavlova, looked up a recipe for stuffed mushrooms (2 vegetarians coming) and marinated the prawns. Phew, not bad for a non cooker.

In the morning, Himself is off to work so the BA and I will need to make the place look respectable and finish the prep before the troops arrive at 2-3pm!! There are about 11 people coming as well as us so it should be a fun time.
The air conditioner looks like it will not be repaired until at least the 27th Dec....assuming they can get a part from the factory. >:-( Why do these things break down over Christmas? I guess to remind us that if that is all we have to worry about we are damned lucky!!

Have a great Friday everyone!!

5 comments:

Brittany said...

It's hard for me to think about it being warm at Christmas time! We are over here "dreaming of a white Christmas" and you're lounging in a pool! Crazy! lol

Also- I commented back to you about where my sister is traveling, on my blog... go read! :)

Stacy said...

It's amazing the amount of stress we go through for all the parties, isn't it? It is so funny that you are having a BBQ while we freeze over Christmas. :)

Jeff Keith said...

I am jealous of your weather. I look out and see a black pool with leaves floating on it. What is worse is we dont even get snow here just a cold wet drizzle. Well, atleast I heard "Sweet Home Alabama" when I came to your site :) Enjoy the pool and thank you for all of the nice comments on my blog!!

Christina said...

Whew, what a busy time! Your menu sounds impressive. And your pool is gorgeous, even if the trees are an annoyance! But it's just weird for me to think of BBQs and swimming at Christmas time. :o)

Anna said...

So funny to think about you being so warm while I am shivering here in new england! That's what I love about this wide blogging world!

Christmas joy to all of you, and we'll think cool thoughts for you!