Words of Wisdom

Youth is wasted on the young.

Monday 10 December 2007

Contemplating Retiring

Actually...I was thinking of slashing my wrists. I have just been marking some of my English exams. I will not even say the year group for fear of identification (that's another story) but here's a selection of what I have had to deal with.

Question: Review this poem remembering to include reference to rhyme, rhythm, alliteration, simile and metaphor, the type of poem it is and a reference to your feelings about it. (4 marks)

segment of poem

The Shark

His body was tubular
And tapered
And smoke blue,
And he passed the wharf
He turned,
And snapped at a flat-fish that was dead and floating
(there's three more verses in this vein)

Sample answers (these are complete answers...not excerpts)

The poem is a metaphore (sic) that tells you about a shark killing a fish. My feelings when I read this poem were freaked out. (as were mine on marking this)

The poem is about a shark that lives in the harbour. The rhyme pattern goes ABAB (WHAT???) it has lots of similes in it (*sigh*). The poet repeats the word tubular which give the impression that the shark is long and round. (deep, very deep)

Lots if letters that are at the start of each line are the same. But the poem doesn't rhyme (hooray!!!) . I didn't think it flowed and I didn't feel any emotion while I was reading it. (try at least making some up for a mark...)

The rhythm was fast going tap,tap, tap (I'm sorry...I'm becoming hysterical). Rhyme it didend (sic) have any rhyme at all. It was alliteration. It had a bit of metaphor and simile. I like the ocean but not fish. (now I am crying.....)

And my personal favourite

The rhyme pattern to this poem AABAAABAA. (AAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!!)
line 4 like pieces of sheet metal is a metaphor (no, its a simile) for his fins were flat and they looked like metal. This poem is a limerick. My feelings on this poem is I like the way it rhymes and its relaxing because it talks about relaxing things.

I am now going to sign up for truck driving school. There's something I'm sure I could do well.
(And no comments about my driving record for those who've read my Seven Random Facts)

9 comments:

Maya said...

I'm sorry...but that made me laugh! Not are your pain in going through this but just how you talk about it all! :)

Arizaphale said...

Thank you. At least some joy has come from this. I suggest marking year 8 and 9 English exams as a community service task for some of those reeeeally unpleasant anti social types :-D

A Free Man said...

To be fair - tapered and turned both end in "ed" so you kcan kind of see the student's logic... ;)

How old are year 9's. I love your stories about them but have never been able to work out what age group we're talking about.

kim said...

hehe... I so enjoy reading little excerpts like this from your student's work. Gave me a bit of a giggle this morning.

Christina said...

ROFL!!! I know it's frustrating for you as their teacher, but I must say this was the funniest thing I've read in a long, long time!!!

Jessie said...

Whoa. Those were some crazy answers. I know you'll be glad when these exams are over!

Little sis said...

Laugh, I nearly cried!! what a hoot and I can relate so well - at least none of your pupils called themselves a ham sandwich in their French oral exam (after 2 years of my teaching!!) Teacher "Qu'est ce que tu aimes manger Eddie?" (stupid question I know!) Eddie: "Je suis un sandwich au jambon" (actually it probably wasn't that correct but it was about 8 years ago!) Take heart my love, you are not alone and it ISN'T you!! xxx

Anonymous said...

hahaha too funny! your comment on the kid that was "freaked out" hahhahahahah!!!!

and thanks for your comment I am off to buy some mince pies now ;)

Blueberry said...

oh my goodness!!! i don't know if i should be laughing at that but i so am. sorry, but you tell a great story!