Words of Wisdom

Youth is wasted on the young.

Tuesday 18 December 2007

Best Shot Monday: "Birthday, Birthday oh what fun*..."

Himself has been taking birthday shots for me. There were scores of the things all in excruciating detail, clear as a bell and reminding me that my face seems to be constructed out of some type of corrugated material and my arms of blancmange (click on these images at your own risk)! On the up side the Baby Angel looks great and we had a lot of fun doing it!
This is my favourite. She's trying to pull me over and as we were crouched down, squatting at the time it was relatively easy. :-)

As of this birthday I am officially in my 'late forties' *sigh* although the Bestie claims she will not be until she is 49 and will continue to be 'in her late 40s' until she is 54. Still, as a very good friend of mine who lost her Mum to cancer at 43 says; it's better than the alternative.

It was a pretty laid back birthday with Baby Angel presenting me with her present and card over a home cooked breakfast by Himself in the morning. She gave me a set of very lovely bowls in gorgeous sky blue and lime green colours. Ever practical, Himself bought me a large case of good New Zealand Sav Blanc and a DVD of 'The DaVinci Code'. Mind you he had set the bar way too high last year when I received an ipod (out of the blue...I hadn't even asked for one!) and a wedding band/eternity ring for our anniversary on the 17th. (My original wedding ring was a gold and diamond combo to save buying an engagement ring...now I have a pair).

The Bestie has bought me a ticket to 'Miss Saigon' in January as a birthday present and her Mum and Dad gave me a beautiful and very posh handbag; just the right size, right length straps and lots of pockets inside :-).

In the evening I had some friends over with Mum and Dad and we played 'Cranium'. Himself and I won again!!!! He claimed he was only playing because it was my birthday however :-D

So that was my lovely birthday. In the old days, Mum wouldn't let us put up the tree until after my birthday, to try and keep it separate from Christmas. That went out the window when my youngest sister was about 5 or 6 and I was a teenager and no longer so worried about birthdays. We then started putting the tree up on the nearest Saturday to my birthday, or ON my birthday. When I moved out of home I designated the first weekend in December as tree weekend and felt very daring in doing so!! Birthdays lose impact over the years but I don't think Christmas ever has for me.


Have a wonderful Best Shot Monday everyone!

*From the musical 'Winnie-the-Pooh'.

15 comments:

Megan said...

i love these shots! you look terrific and it sounds like a wonderful birthday! imagine having two exciting events to look forward to in december! :) many happy returns!

Arizaphale said...

AAwww thanks.

Blueberry said...

LOVE the second picture! adorable!

so glad to hear you had a great birthday!!

Colleen @AMadisonMom said...

Pictures of 2 gorgeous girls.

Happy Birthday!!!

Maya said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

And stop...you look great!

Stacy said...

What fun pictures...and Happy Birthday! Sounds like you got some very nice presents, too. I had the same birthday issues as a kid with it getting lost. Now it just doesn't seem to matter with so many behind me. My baby boy, though, gets his special day...I don't want him to feel that his birthday gets lost in between our holidays.

Phyllis Sommer said...

those are great. happy birthday!

Christina said...

what a fantastic birthday! I LOVE the pictures of you and BA - they're wonderful and you're much too hard on yourself. I actaully don't remember my early Dec ever being an "issue" for me...but my girl's birthday is the end of November, and I do worry about it getting lost in the shuffle. She deserves her very own speical day!

Rose said...

What wonderful pictures of the two of you. A very happy birthday to you, indeed. Harrison would be most willing to sing happy birthday to you but he's sleeping at the moment.

Arizaphale said...

Awww. I would love to hear it. Video perhaps???

Brittany said...

AW! :) you guys looks like you're having a blast!! :)

Happy Birthday, again!

Unknown said...

Those are both terrific! I hope you had a great birthday!

Maggie said...

Happy Birthday!! And I love both of those shots - they are awesome!

Maggie said...

Oh - and mine is 12/18. An exact week day before Christmas. Let me tell you, it gets forgotten a lot! But I don't mind really - I love this time of year, and when I was little I thought that it was pretty special that I got presents a whole week before Christmas!

My cousins birthday is on Christmas, so his birthday is celebrated a month early - he doesn't seem to be any the worse for wear because of it either.

chaoticfamily said...

What excellent shots - you and your daughter are just stunning. Looks like a lot of love is in your life.

Happy Birthday - mine was on the 10th - thankgoodness I was away for it - hee hee hee! My hubby got me an ipod this year which is fantastic - I just love it!