Words of Wisdom

Youth is wasted on the young.

Wednesday 5 March 2008

Why Our Kids Grow Up Too Quickly

The Bestie saved an article from our local news for me the other day. I tried to find a link to it but am forced instead to type the bleeding thing out! The marvels of modern technology still require the investment of a certain amount of time to find the 'time saving links' you desire!!

WHY OUR KIDS GROW UP TOO QUICKLY
by Nadine Williams
Adelaide Advertiser Tuesday March 4th 2008

She was lanky, lean and beautifully coiffed and made up. Her name is Maddison and she looked stunning indeed when she won the Face of Gold Coast Fashion Week last year. But when it was discovered this beauty was a child of twelve, the judges choice caused an outcry.

Welcome to 'fast track' childhood where the 'tween' years of 10,11,12 have blurred. Survey results published in Britain this week highlighted the disappearance of middle childhood, with claims the magic of being a child is over by 11. Parents, its seems, have succumbed to 'pester pressure' and allow their children an array of grown up privileges thrusting them unprepared into teenagehood.

Increasingly, youngsters can stay out late, drink alcohol and watch inappropriate films, and culture is wrenching childhood away from them.Little girls, in particular are growing up faster than ever. They abandon playing with dolls past the age of six and go on to pierce their ears, dye their hair and wear make-up.
Researchers for Britain's Random House publishers who surveyed 1170 parents with children under 18 found that 55 percent believed children were 'young adults' by age 11.

[section of statistics regarding numbers who allow them to do all the above mentioned things; omitted]

Almost three quarters admitted their children had scant regard for their authority and regularly acted against their will. Young Media Australia president Jane Roberts agrees the 'tween age' has become blurred and the marketers are creeping into childhood.

"We know the teenager is technically from 13, but realistically we know teenage now begins at 11-12," she says. "There is very little difference between the clothing ranges for under 13s and those for 13,14 and 15 year olds."
[section on the demons who corporatise children; omitted]
Television and the internet are key marketing tools in this operation. Add to this a quantum shift in both children's and adult's thinking which has seen parents drop the reins of responsibility and control over their children's lives.

But there is a more insidious threat to children's wellbeing. This is the first generation of children whose brain development is out of synch with their physical development, says Dr Michael Carr-Gregg a renowned Melbourne adolescent psychologist. "Their brains are only fully developed if they are females at age 23," he says.
[No mention here of any full development of male brains. An oversight perhaps?????]

....."We are letting young kids make decisions which would have been unheard of a generation ago....what time they go to bed, what foods they eat, what clothes they wear." ................
Dr Carr-Gregg looks beyond mere child oriented marketing to more fundamental shifts in culture and family values. "I think it is a breakdown of spirituality, tradition and ritual and also the current generation of parents have very little access to the previous generation, who had considerable wisdom to offer on how to be parents," he says.
(Arizaphale: not sure I agree with that)

The real issue is that parents are reluctant to set limits or boundaries for their children. "There is this need for parents to grab the reins," he says. If you cannot assert your authority on something as fundamental as bedtime, you might as well not have children."
(Arizaphale: Oh yes, Uh-huh!!)

He sees solutions in good parenting education and schools which reinforce values of respect and manners. "Increasingly, parents are seeking that from schools," he says.

No one wants a return to the authoritarian parenting of the 50s, but parents today are slipping into permissiveness," Dr Carr-Greg says.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Well, I am pleased to see articles like this in the press rather than the ones which tell us how we have to alter life and society to suit the new generation of mobile phone and internet users. Generation Y needs new accommodations they would have us believe. :-( !!!!!!!

I fear I am preaching to a converted audience here but if even one person takes note of my passion at 'The Flaming Sword' and changes their practices and if they can apply some assertive parenting to their children NOW before they get to the teenage years, I will count my blogging time worthwhile.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, No2 Son has had an official driving lesson! The things 'picked up' by his instructor were many of the things I have been nagging about for the last few months (check your mirrors BEFORE you check your blind spot) and, amazingly, Father has now taken Son out for a driving lesson! I am quite sure that in this one lesson, all the things I have been unable to achieve in the last 6 months will be miraculously solved or cured. Chizz Chizz Chizz....

Am I churlish to resent the fact that my year long input will be brushed aside in favour of Dad's one lesson or the Instructor's paid lessons? I mean, it is important that he bond with dad over these 'male 'things isn't it? * harrumph*
I am but human dear reader :-)

9 comments:

A Free Man said...

I love that article and your attitude. I think that both of you are dead on.

Dr. OC is much better at this than me. We were talking the other day about when our kid should have a mobile. Her response "When he can pay for it!"

Anonymous said...

Right on, Miss A.

And driving lessons. Eek. It's a right of passage, though.

Anonymous said...

You'll be happy to hear of this parent I heard about on the news this morning who has taken up her Flaming Sword! Seems her son got a little stupid driving his vehicle and was going over 95 mph in a 65 mph zone. Mom found out and in addition to whatever court costs there are, Mom levied her own punishment as well.
Son is standing on the corner in front of school with a sign that says, "I'm stupid." (not sure I agree with what is on the sign - but love the idea of making him accountable to all who see him). And his car also sports a new sign.....FOR SALE!
Elisa

Arizaphale said...

I am amazed that he stands there with the sign! Not sure I approve of total humiliation but selling the car is a good idea. Perhaps by the time he can afford another he will have learned to respect speed and value the lives of others on the road.

The driving instructor DID say that No2 Son demonstrated a little more caution than the average 19 year old when driving. Could this be my fine influence or is it just that being in a van which a friend rolled down an embankment last year has stayed with him?

Anonymous said...

Oh, that article is dead on. My niece is 13 and is considered a late bloomer because she doesn't wear make-up and thinks making out with boys is gross. Her "friends" are so mean to her about it, too.

Do you find it hard to find a balance, though? I believe in keeping my boys young and innocent as long as possible, but there are things Jeff has had me reconsider. He agrees with keeping them innocent, but he doesn't want me to go to an extreme that makes them "weird." It is so hard to compromise on those ideals and let them have a little freedom. I imagine it is even harder to know where to draw the line with little girls.

Rose said...

Great article about the state of parenting today.
Researchers for Britain's Random House publishers who surveyed 1170 parents with children under 18 found that 55 percent believed children were 'young adults' by age 11. Shocking, sad, yet not surprising. Just in this short time I have come across parents that will allow their child ANYTHING to make him happy. Ugh!

I do agree with the Dr re a breakdown of spirituality, tradition and ritual and also the current generation of parents... but not the rest. I just see a lot less imbrassing of traditional values and spirituality - but that could be the area I live in. Parents (not all are like this) need to get a backbone and be the authority in their child's life. The child needs structure and limits set be their parents to thrive properly. IMHO.

I do want to say just how cute BA is in those pictures! Wow, impressive climb up the rock wall. And those shoes in her red light district shot are awesome!

Anonymous said...

Am quite certain you are having influence on No. 2 son!!!
Rest assured, though, even though he probably shrugs about the embankment episode, it has stuck with him.
My DD, almost 17 now, was in the car with her siblings when DH had an accident that totalled the van. Poor timing (not that there is good timing for that sort of thing) in that she had just scored 100% on her driver's permit test and it arrived at school the very next day after the accident and a long evening in the ER getting everyone checked out. She must have 50 hours of drive time with a parent in order to get her license. Has had a permit for over a year now but only has 5 of said 50 required hours.....that accident sobered her up to the true responsibility of driving a car. And she just isn't ready yet.

Andi said...

I see this a little more each year, as a teacher. I can often guess the girls that have a lack of parental strength at home on the first day of school. Our city is a bit strict with clothes they are allowed to wear to school (middle schools here have uniforms now) so it is not as much of a problem with clothing. But, there are the girls that get their hair done in very grown-up styles, have mainicured or sculpted nails, and wear make-up. (Average age of 7th graders is typically 12)Before they had uniforms, girls would cause trouble with tight tops that said "sexy" across the breast area. Sexy at 12? What middle school boy could listen to me discuss literature with THAT in his sight?!
I struggle with this issue to be honest, mostly because I am not sure what happened in my own case...I was raised by very loving, good, STRONG parents. I had a better-than-average childhood, and was not spoiled. I was EXTREMELY rebellious as a young person, starting around 12-13 and eventually had a daughter at the tender age of 17. Most of the risque things that I did I was able to hide from my parents and teachers for a long time...to my parents faces, I was sweet and good. But, away from them, I was out of control. What caused me to settle down was having my daughter actually. Loving her and being strong for her during HER teen years has been a NIGHTMARE for me, as I am sure you can imagine. I imagined the WORST every time...I sometimes went overboard trying to control the situation, because I worried that she would be like me. Thankfully, we have made it to 18 with only a few bumps along the way, and she really is a pretty terrific kid!
But this only causes me to worry more...about the MILLIONS of teens who try so hard to grow up without any guidance and support? What is the answer to this epidemic?
Thank you for posting this article and thanks to Beastie for saving it for you. This is a topic dear to my heart. Very thought-provoking!
On with your sword...

Stacy said...

Thanks for taking the time to give us that great read. It really saddens me that kids no longer are allowed to just be children and seem to sprint past childhood.