Words of Wisdom

Youth is wasted on the young.

Saturday 29 March 2008

Inside A Saturday Morning Head

Yawn.
Roll over. One eye open, check clock....9.30am. Other eye open, looking out the window. Hmm (mild surprise). Grey skies and a mist over the Gorge. Washing might not dry today. That'd be a first in months.
Roll over and out to great sloshing sounds. Must replace this water bed mattress...it has really had it.
Cold feet. Mild surprise. That'd be a first in months too. Woolly socks on and stumble down the hall.
Ahhhhhhh. Hot coffee and Easter eggs for breakfast. Now, what do I have to get done today? Euch. That's right, marking and reports. And washing. Oh well, at least I get out of that rash promise to crew for Himself today in the State Heat. No2 Son is not working (again) and thankfully available to sail after all. Must remember not to discuss sailing whilst drinking and in company. The tendency to show off can have consequences which come back to bite you. Anyway...lalala...dodged that bullet. Just as well, it will be freezing out there today. *sigh* (snuggle into cashmere socks, wrap hands around hot mug and suck a last piece of melted chocolate out from between teeth.)
OK. So. Where to start? Hmmm. A blog post I think. About last night. Yes, last night was lovely. They'll get thrashed next week of course but nice to be in the finals. She was so excited. Glad she cleaned up her game. Only 2 gratuitous fouls and I personally thought the second one was hers. Heh heh heh. Very funny the way the other girl tried to get the ball off her and BA wrestled her to the ground. heh heh heh. She picked the wrong kid to try and intimidate there. heh heh heh. And I think she had control of the ball so it should have been her foul really. Oh well. Was very entertaining.
heh heh heh.....
Oh look. I think it's been raining again. Must wash these windows. (slurp coffee)
Nice coffee dad bought us last night. Nice to go out with mum and dad. Gonna miss them when they go back. Can't think about that now. Live in the moment. Have another egg. Eurgh. Too many eggs. Better have some carbohydrate or I'll be having a blood sugar attack. What's this? MMm. Apricot fruit bread. Toasted. Sweet.
So now, where was I? Last night. Yes. Lights were nice.
Oh, better replace light bulbs in here too.
I think that's what happened last night. I think a light bulb blew. Bet it was an expensive one. Well, that's what happens clever Belgians or French people or whatever you are. When you extend your season and leave it to the South Australians to run. Bloody hell. Blown lightbulbs. Someone's speeded up the fade in and outs too. I'm sure the change on each building was more subtle last week. And there were definitely dead bug shadows on the slides this week. Very unprofessional. Still, you get what you pay for. I bet the Dutch guys just handed over the slides to the Festival staff and said 'don't touch anything....just turn it on and off each night' and then the Aussies said 'don't you reckon it takes too long for each slide to change?' 'yea, let's speed up the cycle...and bugger off the fade in and out too...let's just make it like, you know, on and off.'
'Sweet. And what about this having to sit around checking everything is working?!' 'I know. What is that about? Well, the London Tavern is just across the road, can't hurt to pop in there for a couple of bevvies. If anything goes wrong someone will let us know.'
And that's how the light globe blew I reckon. Leaving it in the hands of amateurs. Still, the BA liked it. Even if she was freezing her kneecaps off in her netball skirt. Well, I told her to take something warm for after the game. Can I help it if she never does what she's told????
She was ok. Just snuggled up to Grandma. Course, waiting for the slide changes must have been chilly for her. Just as well the Aussie 'touring' crew speeded everything up.
Heh heh heh. Just thought of that strange lady last night. Near Bonython Hall. Telling me she was an Adelaide Uni alumni. Well, like, so am I. I think. Do you have to actually graduate to be an alumni? I was enrolled for two years. Surely I spent enough money in the bar to qualify? Anyway. I knew the letters on the ground were the Uni motto. Once I'd worked out what they said. It's tricky to read two foot high letters when there are people standing on them. And it's dark. Come to think of it, it wasn't dark enough. All the decorative street lights were still on. Made it hard to see the buildings lit up. Bloody Aussies again. Didn't follow the German instructions to the letter. Must google Northern Lights and find out where the company actually came from. Might have been France. No, pretty sure it was Holland. Anyway. Silly woman. Translating the Uni motto for me. I know what the motto is. Sub Cruce Lumen. And I'm pretty sure its not 'Learning Under the Stars.' What kind of motto would that be for a university eh?
(quieter and with contempt) 'learning under the stars', huh.
After all, sub is under and cruce is cross. Its obviously got something to do with the Southern Cross. Under the Southern Cross perhaps? Dad seemed to think that was right except he thought lumen was 'light' so perhaps it is 'under the cross of light'. Well, that's a pretty stupid motto for a university too. No wonder I didn't bother graduating. I might google it.
Ah. See, here we are, "The light (of learning) under the (Southern) Cross". Now that makes sense. Even though there aren't actually enough words in 'sub cruce lunem' to say all that. Bloody wanky academics.

Anyway, surely being the only first year on the Law School Pub Crawl makes you an alumni?

Hohum. Getting a headache from my glasses now. Must have lunch and get out those Year 8 tests. They at least may have passed. Can't say as much for the Year 9s.

Learning under the stars. Huh. Bloody silly alumni woman.

(Turns out Electric Canvas are from Sydney, not Europe but I still stand by my belief that they left it to the South Aussies for the two week extension ;-D)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice stream of consciousness.

Because I'm a pedant, and you dissed my people, I think that the motto (if I remember my Latin from over a decade ago) is literally The Light Under the Cross. With the Southern implied and the learning bit being a clever play on words. That's what you needed, isn't it?

Arizaphale said...

Oops. Methinks someone has been reading in Deutschland :-)
From one pedant to another, thank you for your translation. As for your people....well, at least they taught you l'il ole Lahtin dawn thayre...

(Bloody wanky academic.):-D

Brittany said...

I love reading your posts. :) You make me smile.

Hope you're keeping cool! Can you send summer here, please? Ohio wants summer!!!