Words of Wisdom

Youth is wasted on the young.

Sunday 23 November 2008

No Woman Is an Island....Although Some Of Us Regularly Experience Shipwrecks.


So don't laugh at my island drawing. It's tricky to get worksheets of this nature and it's sometimes easier just to throw one together.

Now, apart from the obvious lack of style, talent and CAD software, my Year 10s took to this quite well considering they had struggled significantly with the original task.

The questions asked them to summarise a trip around the island keeping a running total of the distance travelled. After a few more factual questions they were presented with the last, somewhat creative exercise.

"If you were planning to build a road on the island, where would you build it"

This sent several of the pupils in the group into a state of near tail spin but it is only my favourite response that we shall examine here.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

M: Mrs A Mrs A, I don't know what to do here.

Me: Have you read the instructions?

M: No

Me: (sighs) well, lets read.

"Where would you build a road on the island?"

M: What do you mean by 'build a' road?

Me: On your map. Draw where you think a road would go.

(panic sets in)

M: (quivering hysterically, voice rising to a shriek) But I don't KNOW where the road would go.

Mrs A: Hush, its not that hard. You could put a shortcut in or you could look and see where there are no roads.

M :(finding and indicating an area on the map.)

Mrs A: Well done.

M: but what do I WRITE???????????

Mrs A: Let's draw the road in first and then it's easier to write about whatever you do.

At this point M picked up her pencil and drew this.

One of the other pupils was walking past at this point and upon seeing the road he burst into hysterical laughter and hooted,
"Girl! What kind of a lame road is THAT?????"


Me: (attempting to stifle more hysterical laughter) M, it is customary for a road to start somewhere and go somewhere else.

She did see the funny side in the end but really, I ask you!? We make a lot of assumptions about our pupil's knowledge don't we?

9 comments:

Christina said...

Now THAT is funny!! Sad too, but quite funny. I remember once at the post office showing Nadia where the stamp goes, and the clerk said "thank you for teaching her that - you wouldn't believe how many adults don't know that!"

The Honourable Husband said...

Um, I'm a bit confused. Is there a right answer?

A Free Man said...

That's a nice whale.

I don't get it either. Where is the road meant to go? Everything is connected.

Arizaphale said...

There is no 'right' answer. A shortcut between Stony Point and Shark Point which saves you driving back to Dreamville could be useful. The coast between Bassett and the elm Light has no road and may be a nice scenic drive. Some students suggested extra roads to the airport from say Bassett or Stont Point or even a second road out from dreamville so that people 'had a choice'.
It was the randomness of her road which amused us all. Even her in the end.
Oh and AFM...I told you not to have a go at my drawing!!!! Is it any wonder I'm not an art teacher?

natalie said...

As a mother of a toddler and a teacher of young elementary students (7, 8, and some 9 year olds), I'm amazed at what some of my students don't know when they come to me...not school stuff, but LIFE stuff. (Like putting a stamp in the enevelop, Christina!) I'm constantly talking with M, telling her things, letting her measure ingredients in the kitchen, talking about bigger and smaller, taller and shorter. I'm drawing a blank right now (exhaustion, no doubt), but there are MANY examples when I'm shocked by something my students don't know.

It's hard work being a teacher. HARD WORK.

Brittany said...

I wanted a "right" answer. lol

Maggie said...

That is too funny!

And, for the record, that is better than any island that I could EVER draw. Me? NOT ARTISTIC.

Anonymous said...

I want a road between elm light and basset, then you can drive along the pretty coast with flowers (?)
hahah too funny.
If only I was still in school drawing roads on islands... those were the days!

Arizaphale said...

ssg: they're bushes not flowers. Didn't I tell you not to have a go etc etc etc......?
(and that's where I would have put a road too...)