Words of Wisdom

Youth is wasted on the young.

Monday 3 November 2008

Maybe I Should become A Bouncer

Good grief. This is the second time in two months I have had to break up a fight using actual physical intervention.

Two lads flew past me in the yard at recess, one flung himself on top of the other and two more heaped on top, fists flying. This was no playful rumble and it took quite a bit of my strength to haul two of them off. I think another student also helped but it all happened so fast.....

Good job I'm fiesty eh? Don't mess with Mrs A, I say!!!!! Of course, if any of them had turned on me I would have been in big trouble as they are all feet taller. Still, I do have my trusty karate training to assist me in warding off blows. Wonder what their parents would think if I dropped one of them with a well aimed backfist to the nose?

Best not I guess.

I think I'm rambling now....

Oh, A Free Man? Remember you asked why you shouldn't go into secondary teaching?

On a positive note (yes, there is one), the lesson on Tom Lehrer and his cold war humour went very well. I should have had more faith, after all, these are kids who enjoy The Chaser's War on Eveything and Saturday Night Live. They particularly liked the comment made in a preamble to one of the songs (I had fogotten about it....bad teacher!) which goes:

"I have a friend who wrote a book recently, a whimsical tale of a necrophiliac who fulfilled his life's ambition by becoming Coroner. (mild laughter)
The rest of you can look it up when you get home."

This was the cause of much mirth and raucous guffawing from about 50% of the class. The rest of them will have to look it up when they get home........

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep, that's what keeps me from teaching secondary. I have never, in nearly a decade of intermittent university teaching, had to break up a fight.

I was a bouncer for a while, though a very non-intimidating one.

Arizaphale said...

Do you think I could be sufficiently intimidating? This could be a career change....

Anonymous said...

hmm with karate knowledge what's stopping you?! Glad the lehrer lesson went down well... necrophilia in school, well I never! :)
A freeman has overtaken you to top commentator!

Anonymous said...

If a fight occurs these days, look first for mobiles recording it as they are the instigators.
Also Karate is an attack defence - learn Win Chung were you can simply put them down with a push or hand crunch.