Words of Wisdom

Youth is wasted on the young.

Saturday 18 April 2009

Why This Time?

She flies off to see her Dad every holiday. We have been to the airport and been through this routine about 30+ times. The first time we did it was Easter 2003. She was flying as an unaccompanied minor for the first time and was understandably anxious. I held it together as I hugged and kissed her goodbye, then collapsed into the Bestie's arms, a heaving, sobbing mess.

The next time she was eager and didn't even look back. That made me cry too.

After about the third trip I began to enjoy the freedom of my week without parental responsibility.

After about the 6th trip, it was me who didn't look back!

So why, after all this time, did I suddenly get weepy as I watched her walk off down the ramp this morning? Especially since (sssshhhhhhh: she doesn't know yet) I am going to see her again on Wednesday! Her Dad and Stepmum Extraordinaire have invited me to spend a few days with them to surprise her so I fly out on Weds. So why was I so weepy?

I have absolutely no idea. 2003

2004

Dec 2004

2005 2007 2008

8 comments:

HipMomma said...

Because she's growing up way too fast and one day the good bye will be so that she's off to live on her own and she won't be needing you as often. Sniff. I just registered my baby for kinder. I've been thinking a lot about this.

She is just gorgeous.

Arizaphale said...

Oh bother Melody. You just made me cry again. It must be hormones.

Jill said...

I'm so glad my kids don't have to fly anywhere when they visit their dad! I HATED it at first but now have also gotten to where I'm enjoying the freedom. I'm like, "I get to sleep in?!?! I'm not a taxicab for the weekend? Okay."

Very sweet pictures and I don't know why it got you this time in particular. Emotions sneak up and pounce on you like that, just when you least expect it & sometimes even when you do expect it.

Arizaphale said...

Yea, they sure 'jumped' me this time.

Brittany said...

Oh man. Why do they grow up SO fast is my question. sigh. She is a beauty, though! Look at how much she has changed!

Elisa said...

It's probably because she is not a little girl this time heading out to see Daddy. She's a young lady and you are projecting into the future about her being on her own...just my unprofessional psycholdogical opinion.

BTW - when that time actually does come, I believe God makes them especially ornery and contrary on purpose....so they are ready to go and you are ready to have them go! :)
Yes...I'm learning this from experience! lol

Unknown said...

Yeah, I think it might be because she just looks so grown up this year! And gorgeous? I can't be sure, but those pesky "mom" emotions do seem to sneak in at inopportune moments.

Stacy said...

Well, of course you are weepy! Why wouldn't you be, seeing her growing up? I know I certainly would be.