Words of Wisdom

Youth is wasted on the young.

Saturday 24 November 2007

Elections: Ouch, those pickets can be uncomfortable to sit on.....

Back from the Polling Booth at our local school. Quite a carnival atmosphere down there at the moment. Its a comfortable, sunny Spring day and optimism is high. For what? I for one have NO clue!!!

Yesterday 'the Polls' were not only split they were almost diametrically opposed. Labour, having run a strong campaign have been ahead all the way, at times by up to 10 points! Yesterday one set of Polls predicted a Labour landslide whilst the other ones showed the gap had narrowed to a margin of 2%, a position from which the Labour Govt failed to win in 2001. So the old Baldmeister, megalomaniac Howard could still come back from the brink.......

How do I feel about that? Errrrrrrrr...........................

Well, like many of my countrymen I think Howard is an arrogant autocrat who is verging on senility or at least psychosis. Delusions of deity.

On the other hand, the country is in the best economic position it's been in for years. We're in the black! Unemployment is at a 33 year low. The hated 'Work Choices' IR policy whilst offending our very nature, suits us as small business owners. The Liberal Government have a proven track record for management.

On the other hand nobody is doing anything about the water crisis or climate change. Our treatment of refugees is draconian and nobody wants to listen for one minute longer to John Howard rant on about our need to be in Iraq and Afghanistan.

But have Labour got what it takes? Will Kevin Rudd, a self confessed economic conservative have the goolies to stand up to the 70% of Labour would be front benchers who are ex Union bosses? What if we're trying to fix something that ain't broke?

And even if I DID want to vote Labour, which I'm not sure I do, how can I vote for the empty headed Nicole Cornes whose sole claim to fame is being the wife of an ex footballer and who, for the first half of her campaign, was unable to explain any of Labour's policies!!!!!??????

On the other hand, our sitting member is an arrogant asshole (like so many of the Liberal candidates)........

oh what to do................what to do??????????

I could vote Independent, but his preferences go to Labour anyway, so why not just vote Labour....cos I'm not sure about them......so just vote Liberal.......but another 3 years of John Howard???? Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I was so undecided that I actually tore up my ballot paper at one point and got another one. Yes, even IN the polling booth I was unsure as to the best compromise. :-(

At the end of the day, I doubt my pathetic little vote will make all the difference in the world. But tonight will be the telling time. How will I feel one way or another? I guess if I feel secretly relieved I shall know whether I voted with my gut or not. At the moment I am still wriggling to try and get that picket out of my a***. Not that it matters now.

1 comment:

Christina said...

I often feel the same way about candinates here...it's about chosing the lesser of two evils rather than voting for someone I realy believe in. They're all two-faced