Words of Wisdom

Youth is wasted on the young.

Thursday 4 October 2007

Typical Holidays

Here I am, day 3 of being childfree and all I have achieved is vacuuming the house, interminable loads of washing/ironing and visits to the accountant and tax man. Alright, I lie, I did go and see Stardust (cool website!!! and cool movie if you like mindless fantasy) with the Bestie. But that's it!!!

What happened to holidays being times for meeting friends at fashionable cafes and lunching with sav blanc down at The Bay? What happened to lazing by pools, visiting museums and leaving the country?

Huh.

To be fair, I don't think I've ever really had holidays like that. Mostly school holidays involve stopping. And catching up. And refereeing children. Don't ever feel jealous of the amount of holidays a school teacher gets. I still have marking to do and I need to start planning next term's work as well.

Meanwhile, The Baby Angel is off with her father and stepmother in.........FIJI!!!!!!!!!! Can't complain though. My dad was a University lecturer and over the years we got to visit some really cool places. Strangely however, I seemed to have to go to school in most of them! :-)
We visited (and were schooled in) the UK, the USA and Canada through my childhood so I guess I've been pretty lucky. And I have been to Disneyland and Tokyo Disney, and Alton Towers in the UK (another theme/adventure park).....and I DID have some wonderful holidays with my sister and brother-in-law in France and Cornwall and more great holidays with friends in Cyprus and Spain...........

OK. Maybe its just these holidays that suck.

Now to think about Theme Thursday hmmmmmmmm

5 comments:

Beck said...

Thanks for commenting at my place!
My mom and brother are teachers and they work SO hard -- I genuinely think that without the long holidays, teachers couldn't make it.

Brittany said...

Fiji? Oh wow. She is one lucky girl. I've barely made it out of Ohio. haha. I've been to Canada twice, a few of the eastern states, Disney once... and that's about it. I need to get out more! ;)

Enjoy you're Holiday!!

Gawlerites said...

We saw Stardust with Besties Mum and enjoyed it being the type of movie you can rest the brain. Its a shame the "DOGS" will prevent the Roosters from crowing on Sunday in fact I think a few tail feathers will be missing, and I envy where you are watching it from

natalie said...

YEAH!! Child-free!?!?! If I had holidays like you described, I'd never work. I use my breaks as catch-up for what I haven't done and what I need to do to get ready.

(PSST: I'm going to have a little contest with my next post because it will be my 200th post!)

Melody A. said...

I think most of us rest during holidays. But Fiji? Lucky duck.