Words of Wisdom

Youth is wasted on the young.

Wednesday 31 October 2007

Here's To Halloween Past

The first time we dressed up for Halloween, the baby Angel was about 4. There was a party at a friend's house (the Brits don't really do public trick or treating..or if they do they preface it with a flyer to all the intended houses warning them that the ghoulies are coming. If you don't want to participate you put the flyer up in your window!! Very organised) and we had to throw together a costume. Being fairly broke at the time, I opted for recycled and home made costumes.The robe was a velour maternity smock from the second hand shop, gathered at the neck with elastic and shortened appropriately. The cape was an old black half slip of mine (probably inherited from mum!!), cut up the middle with a silver tie added. I think we also decorated it with glo in the dark and puffa paints! The hat. Well, it was a good idea but we ran out of time. Lovingly constructed out of cardboard, I had intended to paint it black but left it to the BA to colour instead. You can see her efforts. But she was very happy with the hat and I figured...why knock myself out? Perhaps she is a white witch!! It would be fun to photoshop it now and mske it black!! The face painting was the 'piece de resistance' I think :-D No matter how homemade we looked, we had a great time at the party and the dress ups were used again and again in many different guises over the years.
This is two years later and involved ME going to a Halloween party!!! Similar makeup you may notice. I had managed to pick up a cheap black plastic hat so I looked a good deal more glamorous than BA had in her white cardboard hat heheheh. Somehow I don't think she minded and I think she inherited the hat in her dress ups anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In a way I miss the old 'opportunity to dress up'. On the other hand it simplifies life a lot not having to come up with something different year after year!

Have a great Halloween all my American Blog Buddies!!! We're thinking of you!!!!

7 comments:

kim said...

Some fun shots! Thanks for sharing. I love BA's hat. Very original.

Brittany said...

Great shots!! Thanks for the Halloween wishes!

Christina said...

What a great original costume! I love it! I think the scribbled-on hat just adds to the charm. :o)

Stacy said...

Great job on the costumes! I didn't really realize until the past year or so that the rest of the world didn't celebrate Halloween. It is so much fun for kids! Also, there is a mode to show that you don't participate in the candy giving, because not everyone does here, too. You leave your light on outside to show that you are giving candy.

Maggie said...

Those are great pictures! I hardly saw any little witches this year - which is too bad, I think that they are so adorable!

Anonymous said...

The past photo of BA is priceless. It was a great costume and I think her having colored the hat herself makes it that much better.

You make an excellent witch. I mean that in a nice way.

Melody A. said...

Your witch is awesome.

I just love Halloween. I actually wish we could have worn the costumes more than once this year. Most schools in the country ban wearing costumes (for different reasons). But it wasn't like that a few years ago. And the kids used to get Halloween parties at school but now no parties. Kill joys.