Words of Wisdom

Youth is wasted on the young.

Tuesday 23 October 2007

He's 21 Today!! (er well...yesterday...)

Twenty One Today
Twenty One Today
He's got the Key of the Door
Never been 21 before
His father says he can do as he likes
Shout hip hip hooray
For he's a jolly good feeeeellllooooww!!!!!
He's.....twentyone today!!

I've always loved this rather old fashioned song and celebration. I remarked to Number 1 Son last night that the Twenty First Birthday doesn't seem to be the big deal it used to be any more. I remember a string of Twenty Firsts which involved printed invitations to Church Halls, RSL Clubs or back yards with marquees and hired spit roasts. Fathers would give speeches, cakes in the shape of keys were cut and there was usually some form of a disco. Times seem to have changed.

"Money," was the comment made in answer to my question. It seems some families still do the big 21st Thing.....we evidently are not in the price bracket.....well not according to No1 Son anyway. Or maybe the thought of getting his mother's side of the family together with his father's side was just too much to bear.

Fair enough.

Anyway, he seemed to enjoy his steak, and our company, so that was a nice thing. He was relatively polite about his brother's L plate driving on the way home and appears to be thriving in his new job as a mechanic. He even offered to service my car for me. For the same price as the dealership....but he'll do a better job apparently :-D I'm thinking about that one although the Baby Angel says I should trust him. She has such a good heart.

PS: Thanks to Melody A for the tip on www.picnik.com!!! At least he doesn't have red eye anymore!!

2 comments:

Melody A. said...

Oh, so glad I could help make the handsome boy (er, man?) more handsome. Happy birthday to him.

(BTW, I did not make V's hat. One day I will learn to knit.)

Christina said...

Happy Birthday to a very accomplished young man!