Words of Wisdom

Youth is wasted on the young.

Sunday 13 April 2008

Please Miss: What does this look like to you????


The Baby Angel reminded me of the last story (I promise) from the Year 10 Excursion.

"Mum," she asked, "did you tell them about the boys and 'it's a penis miss'.....?????"

How had that one momentarily slipped my mind?

It was part of the lunch stop. The same one where we'd had the food fight. I had wandered across the park, past a group of lads, just as one of them said loudly, and explosively, "Look dude, this water bottle is shaped like a PENIS!!!!"

The group immediately realised that I had overheard this observational revelation so they naturally fell about shrieking with laughter and looking expectantly at me to see my reaction.

It had been a long morning. The last thing I felt like doing was trying to discipline ferral fourteen year old testosterone ridden boys over their inappropriate language in a public place. And anyway, was it inappropriate? I mean, at least they didn't bellow 'dick' or any number of other unsavoury euphemisms through public airspace. I simply rolled my eyes at them, smiled and said.......actually, I can't remember exactly what I said. It may have been, 'really boys, exactly how many penis jokes do we have to hear before you tire of them?' or ' this preoccupation with penises is concerning boys...you must spend a lot of time looking at them...' or simply ' are all penises that funny?'. I can't remember. Maybe those were things I wish I'd said! Regardless, it was an attempt at flippant humour and it backfired radically. They shrieked with laughter all the more.

"Miss said penis!!!!!She said penis!!!!"

They ran off in the opposite direction, still shrieking with laughter and when I passed them a few minutes later they were all lined up with the few extra friends who obviously didn't believe them and were here for the evidence. I could tell what was coming so I gave them the royal wave as I walked past and they all caterwauled
'penis miss, penis penis penis...bwahahahahahahahahaha'...........

*sigh* the things you have to put up with.

As a foot note I might add that they tried it again the next day at school but were a little more subdued due to their surroundings. I came up close to them this time and told them they'd gone far enough and that the joke needed to stop now. It's all about knowing where the line is boys...

To their credit they did pull their heads in. Far enough to gaze on their own penises.

I left them to their reverie.

image credit

15 comments:

Andi said...

ARE all penises that funny? I guess so! It really is ridiculous what immaturity we have to put up with from the boys of this age group! It seems funnier to me that students know we have children, and think it is humorous if we simply SAY the word penis...how do they think the kids gots here? LOL-
That thought might just blow their minds. :) You are right though; at least they used the proper terminology and not some ugly slang!
BTW-Thanks for your lovely comments recently...

Anonymous said...

I would have to compare that to the young child fascination with poop. We get lots of poop talk. "Wanna smell my poop?", "I think she said, 'Poop'!"

Brittany said...

Ok, I giggled. Sorry, I giggle at the word penis. ha ha ha. Are those straws meant to be shaped like that??? lol

Maggie said...

I nearly spit my diet coke ALL over the computer when I saw that picture. And then I started laughing. So clearly, I have the maturity level of a teenage boy.

But in my defense, those straws really do look like a penis!

Oh - and to answer your question about the 4th picture from this last week; it was just supposed to show the difference in a cylindrical reflection - the picture on the floor spread out and was hard to see, but the reflection was just a regular square. It was just one of the displays at a place we were at. And I needed a picture for the day... :)

Blueberry said...

ha ha ha! boys!

Anonymous said...

last week my work colleague was telling me about her grandson who is around 5 I think, and he is already aware of somethings and is a good reader. in a card shop last week he asked his mother 'mummy, what does don't take any bullshit' mean?" and about a picture with a couple making love on the ground below the word 'NO', 'mummy, what are they doing?' to which she replied "it means don't fall over". I wonder if he bought it. This is the same kid that old his mum Good Friday is called Good because Jesus was killed. Just thought i'd share that...

Arizaphale said...

And we're delighted you did :-D

Anonymous said...

Ahhh geesh! I'm laughing, as it is a very common word, with giggles around here too. And to me, it looked like a crazy straw. That's it!

Arizaphale said...

Just for the record folks; if you check the image credit you'll see the story of the straws. It has nothing to do with my story....or maybe it does?

Anonymous said...

As you noted, the jokes could have been a whole lot worse. But more importantly, did it look like one?

kim said...

funny

Arizaphale said...

Chris: Only if the circumcision operation had gone terribly wrong....

Anonymous said...

OHMYGOD.

Penis penis penis penis miss said penis!!!

I love it. LOVE it.

Thank you for this. I needed it. Badly.

Arizaphale said...

My pleasure.

Anonymous said...

Believe me truly when I say that my first thought was of violins.
The sax came after.