Words of Wisdom

Youth is wasted on the young.

Monday 5 November 2007

NaBloPoMo #4: Fourteen weeks...if looks could kill!

I LOVE this photo! OK who am I kidding? I have just rejected 50 other photos I also love :-D
This morning, as I was lying, snuggled up and trying to have 'just 5 more minutes' after the alarm went off, I started to try and calculate what monthly intervals I would need to leave in order to get Baby Angel up to her current age by the end of the month. Unfortunately, the calculation sent me back to sleep.

Later, in the shower I got a figure of 6 month intervals although I still haven't double checked it but then I thought...oh b*gg*r it! There are certain photos I just want to look back on and certain time periods which were so amazing and gone so quickly; I will just post 'em as they take me. So this one is 14 weeks.

She spent a lot of time looking at us like this. In my 'new mother neurosis' I imagined that she had been born without a sense of humour. She wouldn't smile, she just examined us!!! With a very dubious look on her face.

"Are you sure I'm meant to be here. With you? You're positive there was no mix up in the hospital?"

On another note, she is wearing a navy blue 'all in one' (I think the in the US you call them 'onesies'??) lovingly decorated with embroidered rosebuds....by moi. I spent the last few months of my pregnancy in the bosom of my family embroidering anything that was not tied down. I even knitted her a Peter Rabbit soft toy and had the pattern for Jemima Puddleduck but never got it done. I wanted to embroider a soft, cream , woolly blanket but couldn't find one so I bought blanketing material, edged it in ribbon myself and made her a blanket!

I made and embroidered bassinet covers, bassinet frills, car cot covers, bibs, socks, hats...you name it. And after she was born, I embroidered a cushion cover for my midwife. Such a flurry of creativity has seldom been seen in these disposable times. Of course it could never last. The last project I started was in 2003 and I am still chucking a few stitches in every holidays.

Here's Peter and the home made blanket.

The Humpty Dumpty bib with rosebud socks and gloves.

The car cot cover with bassinet cover lost in the corner there, accompanied by the all in one she's wearing in the photo and matching socks. The hollyhock hat she wore home from hospital.

I'm exhausted just looking at them all!!! :-D

6 comments:

Melody A. said...

Gorgeous!

Christina said...

Oh my, isn't she a beauty?! Nadia thinks it's her cousin, tho. ;o) My goodness, you sure were the overacjeiving mother wth all those darling kintted and embroidered goodies!

Anna said...

Oh what a labor of love, and what treasures for her to have when she is older.

And isn't she a sweetie. See my post today, still no smiles for the camera from Henry :) Plenty in real life, though.

Blueberry said...

born without a sense of humor!! ha ha ha!! (i really love that picture!)

and wow aren't you talented. i just love all those beautiful things that you made!

Anonymous said...

I can't even imagine! I got pretty things like that and all I could think was "Oh, blank spent so much time on this, and the kid is just going to puke on it." I felt bad letting them get all dirty.

natalie said...

Okay, if I am ever blessed with another baby, I'll send you plenty of American money (as if I have plenty enough to share) to embroider something for us. That's remarkable!