Words of Wisdom

Youth is wasted on the young.

Wednesday 23 January 2008

The 'No More Fairy Floss' Meme

Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy ride.

Tonight the Bestie confirmed something I have been feeling for a while.
"Your blog has lost some of its edge....it's a bit like Fairy Floss .......seems to be just 'more of the same'....."

With this in mind........

The delightful Jenny from "A Slice of My Life" tagged me for a meme.

I have recently learned about the origins of the term 'meme' from the very erudite and knowledgeable ( for a bloke) Chris over at "Ravings of An American Expatriate....".

In this post he draws on the work of a fellow academic to define the term in a genetic context as

" cultural phenomena that represent self-replicating means of transmission".............

Well, obviously! That explains everything :-D A meme is a cultural phenomonen and transmits in a self replicating manner. Makes perfect sense to me .

Interestingly, if you read the rest of his post he also describes a meme which has a built in mutating feature (I think I understood that bit....). Well I have been interested to observe the mutating nature of memes with or without the 'built in' factor.

For example, a while ago I did a meme entitled 'Seven Random Things About Me'. I have since seen this in a '100 Random Facts' version and in this most recent tag... as 6 Random Facts. I gotta say I'm going with the latter!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not sure why this is such a prevalent meme? Perhaps because it is easy? Has few rules? Is open to interpretation? Allows us to indulge in that egocentric human desire to talk about oneself? Yea...I'm going with the last one. But why the mutation? From 7 to 100 I can almost understand....too much of a good thing but why from 7 to 6?

Anyway, without further ado......a dark take on 6 Random Facts ......

the 'Six Dark Secrets and What I Really Think' meme

1. I have been feeling very resentful of late. Why am I bringing up other people's children??

2. I have no tolerance for idiotic parents who leave their 16 year old alone for the weekend
and wonder why he ends up on the front page of the paper looking cocky and having
alienated not only the neighbours and the local police force but most of the Australian
media watching public.

3. People who buy their kids mobile phones for 'safety' are having themselves on.

4. I envy the simplicity of a testosterone driven mind. And other organs.

5. I always bite off more than I can chew but I have a bloody good go at chewing it.
I do not necessarily see this as a flaw. (sorry Mum)
NB: This has nothing to do with #4.

6. There should be compulsory visits to the Third World for every teenager in affluent
Western society. Perhaps then they'd appreciate how lucky they are to have that sub
standard, non plasma, 60cm TV with DVD and video and ancient dinosaur of an X-Box.

I'm not tagging anyone today but I welcome disagreement on any of the above issues. In the 'dark' spirit of this post I insist all comments find at least one thing in this list to disagree with.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice of the Bestie to tell you how it really is.

It's a good list. I happen to not disagree with any of it.

Katie Swaner said...

I've alwasy thought of a meme as an abreviation of "This is all about ME; look at ME"

The mobile phone thing? a phone doesn't have to have service for it to be able to dial 911. Why do the kids need to be able to call you? That's not safety - that's convenience. for the parents.

I'm disagreeing with you telling me I have to disagree. Can't I be dark and disagreeable with the same things you are?

As far as #5 - I don't believe you would still be married if it had anything to do with #4 :)

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. I am probably breaking the dark nature of the list but I CANNOT disagree with anything on your list! I agree across the board on all issues!
Elisa

A Free Man said...

I'm glad to hear that the Facebook kid alienated the Australian public. The British press kind of sold the story with the kid of some kind of Antipodean folk hero. That slightly increased my angst about our imminent move. The testosterone mind is maybe not as simple as you think ;)

Thanks for the link and the (restrained) compliment.

Christina said...

Well, I can't say I've ever thought of your blog as fairy floss....but nontheless, I love this post. I'm being contraty, tho, and refuse to disagree with anything. I most heartily agree with every point. Even the ones that mkae me laugh.

Anonymous said...

Okay, I'll bite. As soon as Grayson gets old enough to be allowed at friends' houses without me, or gets dropped off at the mall or the movie theater, etc. the boy will have a phone. Probably with limited minutes and unlimited texting, because it's just what kids do. I fight against the flow for many,many things in his life, but a cell phone won't be one of them! There, you finally have a disagreement, are you happy?! :P

mandaroo63 said...

I guess mine would be #4, I don't really envy it as much as sympathize with it. It just puzzles me when they don't "get" something, and tune you out so that they don't even bother! UGH. Otherwise good list. I'm afraid we're guilty of the big tv (hubby's baby, of course) but I think it a great idea for the kids to see 3rd world countries. We're close to Mexico, so when the kids are old enough, we'll be making a trip to some of the poorer parts to show them what it's like. It's so easy to miss it when you go to the resort areas.