Words of Wisdom

Youth is wasted on the young.

Wednesday 30 January 2008

Confession

OK, Sinead has made me feel guilty with her talk of outdoor Shakespeare being ruined by rain in Oxford.

I have to confess that the first time I saw 'Twelfth Night' was at an outdoor performance at the ruins of an abbey somewhere near Wimbourne in Dorset. It was a glorious UK summer evening!

I guess Australia's not the only place that enjoys good weather! I expect there is quite a bit of outdoor theatre in the Northern Hemisphere too :-D

5 comments:

Harlekwin said...

Indeed there is. Only 12 miles south of where I'm seated at this moment is the home of one of the best Shakespearean theaters in the US. The Oregon Shakespeare Festival has performed the canon three times during its long history.

The outdoor theater is an amazing venue. While watching "Midsummer Night's Dream" a huge owl flew into the theater and landed at the top of the stage. The audience gave it a round of applause, it flew in as if on cue!

Your evening in the vineyard sounded enchanted!

Anonymous said...

The Summer of 2006 was pretty hot, or at least July was (when Chris was in the US for field work), but in future I would only book seats in England for outdoor theatre on the day of the performance. I felt sorry for my friend though, it was her hens night and it was a complete washout!

Brittany said...

something for you at my blog! :)

The Egel Nest said...

I like bad movie versions of Shakespeare....like "Ten things I hate about you" ie The Taming of the Shrew.

Congrats on your E for excellent award! (Saw you got it on Brittany's site) :)

Bradley
The Egel Nest

A Free Man said...

Sinead's good at making me feel guilty as well ;)

I used to see a fair bit of outdoor theater when I lived in Seattle, but not much since then. Britain's a little unpredictable and as Sinead mentioned - Missouri was a lot hot! During the Misery summers I spent a good part of my day in a corn field so the last thing I wanted to do was spend any more time outside!