Words of Wisdom

Youth is wasted on the young.

Sunday 23 September 2007

Reunion

I have just got back from my high school 30 year reunion.

I'm just letting that sink in.

Thirty. Years.

The night had an inauspicious beginning. As a friend and I pulled up, we saw another, similarly aged woman, struggling along the road. We should have known things were amiss when she was suddenly at our window.
"Do you know where the XYZ Function Room is?" she gasped, in a voice which had clearly seen too many cigarette packets.
"Of course, we're going the same way," we cheerfully responded.
On the way to the function I thought to ask her what she'd been doing since school.
"Well," she wheezed, "I've had a bad week...........My rabbit died."


Fortunately, after this revelation, things picked up and it was marvelous to see all the 'old girls' from their various walks of life. There seemed to be a lot of physiotherapists there I must say or maybe that was just what the first girl said and after that they all rolled into one.

We enjoyed ourselves so much that we partied on to not one but two other pubs so the hour is now officially LATE>

2 comments:

Christina said...

Pub hopping with old friends? Sounds like a fun time to me! yay!

Karen said...

Oh, how fun! I had my 20 year reunion several years ago and I don't think I've ever had a better time. (Well, maybe my wedding.) It's wonderful when enough time has passed that old high school cliques and gossip are completely irrelevant and you can just enjoy your old friends for what they are: people with a shared history and an understanding of your old stories. So glad you had fun!