Words of Wisdom

Youth is wasted on the young.

Thursday 6 September 2007

The Face behind the Blog

OK. Firstly, I know I'm not meant to be 'on' at the moment but I couldn't resist a sneak peek at Theme Thursday (Exposure: who wouldn't want to have a look at that!!!!!!) and of course one thing lead to another and I had to have a bit of a squizz at some of my fave blogs .....

Well, I'm glad I did because I have been tagged for my first meme. (You know, I still don't know what that means but I get the gist of it). Christina at Momology tagged me for this "Face Behind the Blog" meme. Now, even though I am not shy, like some of you others, about putting up pix of myself...this is a bit over the top. Here is a veritable 'Me Fest'!!! How I grew up in 10 pictures.


Number 1. This is me aged 1 on the boat to Australia, about to become an Aussie for life. It was the 'Fancy Dress Night' and I am done up as a Charleston Baby!
Aged about 3 I think, in our first Housing Commission house in the suburbs of Adelaide. Obviously demonstrating a love (if not talent) for music. Look at those freckles!!! This whole sequence should be an ad for the Cancer Council! How NOT to treat your fair child's skin.
On to our family home, aged about five or six. That kitten belonged to our cat, Cleo, who was later accused by my mother of being an unfit animal to name my daughter after. (I ignored her)
Do not ask me what I am wearing!!! I blame my mother. (mwah, big kisses Mam)
Oh yuck! These were the ugly years. Aged 12 at my grandmother's house in the UK. Yes, that's her behind me and my youngest sister at my knee.
Aged about 14 I think. Outside the family home and (if you look closely) already exhibiting the tell tale signs of skin damage around the eyes.
At 18 I took off to see the world. This was taken in Rennes in France as I boarded my train with my Eurorail pass. That was a journey which was to shape my life. What a baby I was!!!!
Now I just HAD to include this one for the outfit. It was the Eighties!!!! This was my first 'property', bought with my dad in the exclusive Sydney suburb of Vaucluse. I loved it. Don't feel the same way about the skirt, ear rings or mullet however!!!!!
Aged 32 at my first wedding. Spot my two sisters (easy: both on the left of me)! The tall and gorgeous one on my right is my Bestie (check out her Blog if you dare) who may never forgive me for that hairdo. The little blonde is another dear friend from the eastern states.
Had to put this one in as it was the culmination of my 'growing up' really. Yes, we had a water birth and I can highly recommend it. One of our favourite things about this photo is the blow up life preserver!!!! That's my Mum there with me, being a fantastic birth partner and very proud first time Grandma (she's an old hand at it now with three grandchildren).
And finally, my reward for growing up! Himself and I at our surprise wedding in 2005 in our backyard. It was meant to be a housewarming party and we threw in the wedding as a bonus.
So that is 'The Face Behind the Blog'. Thanks Christina for the opportunity to indulge myself and I now tag AmyJo at The Cheese Party, Kim at Cancio, Melody at The Hipmomma's Journal and Dawn at How I See It!!! I wanna see more of these ladies!!!!

13 comments:

Wil's Wheels said...

I completely loved each and every life moment. Cute kid, beautiful woman, amazing mom.

Yes, let's forget the fashions of the 80's. :)

Maggie said...

I LOVE the old photos - there is something so special about getting to see how someone used to be!

Miss Betty Fjord said...

Oh my god - talk about trip down memory lane! Wonderful to see some of those old shots again. Bring on the next "slide night"!

Anonymous said...

Love the photos you shared! I think my favorite is your with the backpack--looking like you are absolutely on the verge of something big--a new era in life!

Amy Jo said...

Love it! This is a great idea for a meme! I promise to fulfill my duty, but it may have to wait, as the packers are coming today (Friday) the movers are coming on Monday and then we ship off for parts north next Friday! Plus, all of my old pics are already packed, so I can't scan them at the moment. Give me a week or two and I'll deliver!

Brittany said...

cheater cheater ;) I am glad though, those are great pics! You know, that 80's style skirt is coming back in style... might need to break that out again?? haha.

Dawn said...

Awww, thanks for tagging me! I'm going to have to dig for old photos (my mom has the better ones in her collection), but it'll be a project for the next week.

I loved looking at your pictures! What fun! That 80s outfit isn't so bad, I mean come on, look how it accentuates your figure! You looked so beautiful at your second wedding, and I loved the first wedding pic of you w/ your bridesmaids. So fun! Those dresses and the roses made a great color combination.

You have a great sense of humor and personality. Thanks for sharing with us!

natalie said...

How awesome!!! Thanks so much for sharing!

Now we want the juicy story of the second wedding...how did you meet him? Inquiring minds want DETAILS!

Melody A. said...

How fantastic!! My fave also is the backpacking one. Everyone thinks they are soooo ready at 18. If only we knew then... And what do you mean the ugly years? You were completely precious! I will show you ugly years when I get mine up. Water birth, surprise wedding? I will have nothing so interesing.

I will work on mine.

Christina said...

I'm glad you "broke the rules" and posted for us! Somehow you seem like such a natural blogger, I'm always surprised to be reminded that you're new to it. i'm glad I could offer you for first meme. :o)

Anyway, awesome to see you grow up! What a full, wonderful life you've had. You were an adorable kid that grew into a beautiful woman. And you had a water birth - I'm so jealous!! (I would have loved that, but it wasn't allowed because of my heart condition).

Dawn said...

my mistake, those weren't roses in your first wedding.

Karen said...

That was FUN! Thanks for sharing all these pictures - I do love seeing how you went from little one to all grown up. And of course the fashion was just a bonus! :)

kim said...

I very much enjoyed looking at these pics of you. I think BA looks a lot like you as a child. Very cute! I've finally got mine up:
http://www.cancio.org/blog/?p=349