Words of Wisdom

Youth is wasted on the young.

Thursday 13 September 2007

My Bestie

My Bestie has been around ever since I moved into her street (well, she was there first) at the age of 4. I lived at no 11 and she lived at no 8 and apart from one other family who didn't have children until we were a bit older, we were the only kids on the street so we naturally gravitated towards each other. It helped that we were both bright, loved reading, musicals and games (Scrabble, cards, Mousetrap...you name it!).

We went to the same Church together for years, in fact she was Confirmed before me. AND she was younger! A source of great angst on my part. In fact I repaid my parents for deciding I was too immature for Confirmation by refusing to agree to the process the following year.........until they bought me a Jackson Five record. You can see I was so ready.

Interestingly, Bestie has repayed the Anglican Church of Australia by becoming one of the most outspoken cynics and Athiests I know (and there are lots here in Aus!!). Many a long night has been spent in wine fuelled debate over our respective beliefs. On one notable occasion, whilst hotly discussing the Church in my car, I managed to sideswipe my gatepost most spectacularly!! But I digress.

Bestie and I attended the same High School although, by virtue of 6 months, she was in the year below me and eventually through my year off backpacking around Europe, ended up at University together jointly making a half hearted attempt at studying Law! I suspect my deferral after second year did her a favour as I was no longer around to 'lead her astray' and she actually went on to become a fully fledged LLB whereas I spent the next three years bumming around the eastern states trying to work out what to do with my life.

She has since gone on to become CEO of a great number and variety of Associations, the most fascinating of which is the most recent. Being a gal with a great social conscience she has taken on leadership of a charity. Being also a gal with a penchant for the controversial (unlike me hem hem) it is a charity related to the great social Plague which so decimated certain segments of our society in the 80s and continues to ravage the African nation to this day. Its a cause she feels passionately about, especially as it relates to women and more importantly, culturally disempowered women.

My Bestie has the biggest heart around. It is also possible that she has the biggest bazookas, for which I am continually envious. My prayer for her is that her gentle soul never again be decimated as it has been in the past. I pray that she finds love and companionship and all the wonderful things in life that she deserves.

She deserves to be happy.

Love Ya Bestie.

2 comments:

Gawlerites said...

What a wonderful way to introduce Betty into the wide world of Bloggerism, if we could string more than a couple of words together at one time we would join you

Anonymous said...

What fun you two must have. I popped over and, er, saw her bum. :) OUCH! And I did comment.