Words of Wisdom

Youth is wasted on the young.

Friday 12 October 2007

My Baby Is Back


.........and she's braided her hair!!!!!!!! At $1.00 Fj per braid!!! there are 56 of them!!!! I reeeeally hope the Fijian dollar is worth 10c. >:-(

She thinks she looks fantastic. I think its awful. I guess it's a generational thing. But where's my baby blonde?

She's picked up a bit of sun.....but not too much thank goodness. She's so fair.

I am having trouble with this camera. I need to read the instructions again. Sometimes the flash goes off and it doesn't seem to reach far enough. Then if I use natural light the shutter speed is too slow and I wobble all over the place. My PAS was much more reliable...if lower resolution...but really, this photo is AWFUL ; I had to fiddle with it in my pitiful excuse for software because it was basically taken in the dark. I wouldn't even dare show it to Himself. *sigh* Sometimes I find this whole photography thing really frustrating.

I'm looking forward to seeing all her photos tomorrow. Hopefully there'll be some good ones. I'm especially interested in the underwater stuff! Apparently she was doing The Macarena and The Chicken Dance whilst on the ocean floor, and in so doing, scratched her arm on some coral. It is really peculiar looking and we have antibiotic cream to put on it but I think whatever the irritants are, they are trapped beneath the graze. It is raised and looks a bit like excema.

Tonight she wanted me to lie down with her at bedtime like I used to do when she was little. Every time I tried to sneak away she hung onto me and murmured "No, Mum....don't go yet," in that sleep soaked voice kids have. I snuggled up to her and thought about all the nights we had done this when she was small enough to fit in the crook of my arm or the hollow of my shoulder and waist. I thought about how she used to smell and how soft she was and then I thought about how uncomfortable the beads from the braids were trapped under my cheek on the pillow. How do they sleep with them in????? It is worse than the Princess and the Pea!

So our family is all back together again. I guess her Dad and Stepmum must be feeling a bit lost without her now after nearly two whole weeks. On the other hand.........maybe not :-D

I had better get on now and try and get back into school mode. Only two days until we're back in the Salt Mines... :-(

By the way, does anyone know what happens to your hair when you take these braid things out? Himself says it stays all crinkly and won't wash out and you have to use the Number 4 clippers!!! Please tell me he's just scaring me. I've said she can wear them to school for one day and then they're coming OUT!! They are definitely not part of the school uniform.

7 comments:

Brittany said...

Ohhh your hubby is fuuuuunnnny.... Her hair will be fine! It will be wavy, but when she washes it the wave will go away. I used to braid my hair like that as a kid, so that it would be wavy... I was a child of the 80's, so I have an excuse for my silliness.

That is SO sweet that she wanted you to lay with her!!! :) It's good to hear that some teenagers still want their parents- there is hope :)

Christina said...

Welcome back Baby Angel!

LOL at the braids...I suspect she will have super wavy hair for a while once they come out, but I don't think the clippers will ne necessary!

That paragraph about curling up with her on the bed...ahh, so sweet. Makes me think about how one day my own angel baby will be a big girl like your angel baby.

Melody A. said...

Oh no!! I would have stayed with her all night if she had said that to me. So precious.

My girls love those braids and they get them everytime we vacation in Mexico. And no nothing happens. Take them out and wash like usual.

Blueberry said...

56 braids! oh my!
my guess is that she will have very kinky wavy hair for a while. i really don't think the braids would do that much damage... but i've never had them so i really am no expert!

i would love to see her pictures too! that is someplace i've never been... and i'm pretty sure i won't get to go either!

Stacy said...

I second, no third! that she will be fine when the braids come out. I do small braids (a few...not 56!) and it is a pain to get them out but after one washing it will be back to normal.

As for the coral...I bumped some coral when I was in Mexico and the rash will go away on its own. It was a little painful, though. Poor girl! It does look like she was having fun, though! :)

Glad your baby Angel is back with her Mum!

Cari said...

Welcome back Baby Angel!

I think her hair will be fine. :)

Anonymous said...

Hahah - your hubby is totally "yanking your chain!" The waves come out when the hair gets wet and washed!

Tee hee - I bet the look on your face was HILARIOUS when your hubby told you that.

Elisa
A visitor via Cancio.org