Words of Wisdom

Youth is wasted on the young.

Wednesday 17 October 2007

But MIss, I Didn't Know......

Firstly I have to apologise for not getting around to everyone's BSM this week, I'll try and catch up gradually over the week. Last night I fell asleep on the couch at 9.30pm and was woken up and sent to bed at midnight by Himself. Nothing got done last night. As a result I will be flying by the seat of my pants today at school. Still, after the first two doubles yesterday I am of the opinion that it doesn't matter how much you prepare or what you do....it makes little difference in the world of teenagers. I spent 2 hours listening to kids say
"I didn't know we had to hand it up today"
"You never told me...."
"I was away...."
"I lost the assessment criteria sheet"
The Year 8s started it and the Year 11s sounded exactly the same. Either nothing changes between these Years OR we need to start at Year 8 making the kids MUCH more responsible for getting things in on time and following up when they have been away. Basically the chorus went "Miss it is YOUR fault that I haven't completed my work."

Classic. Wish I could have blamed the teacher when I was at school. Of course, the parents will back them up as well. This is where we are doing the kids NO FAVOURS. When my daughter gets a detention for not doing her homework (rare but it has happened) I don't ring the school complaining. I know that she is unlikely to do it again as she wants to avoid the consequence!!

Similarly, when someone is away for a lesson and doesn't ask me or the rest of the class what they missed......they should suffer the consequence so that next time they remember to follow up missed work. There is only one of me and I can not be chasing around the school after the 20 out of 21 kids yesterday who failed to hand up their work on time. Yes, that's right, only ONE person handed up the assignment on its due date.

grrrr

And don't even start me on the Year 11s who have 4 SACE assignments due in the 5 weeks we have remaining for them.

"Why didn't you give them to us last term?" they pleaded....

I did. They just didn't do them.

Anyway, they were very subdued and worked pretty hard yesterday so.......we shall see.

Right I'm off to fitness. Its 6.20am! Have nice day everyone.

5 comments:

Brittany said...

I'm not sure how you teach teenagers all day, and are still sane. I am impressed!!!!

Dawn said...

holy cow, you sound JUST LIKE ME when i was teaching. i hate how teachers are to blame for everything and the kids can get away with doing nothing and the parents take their side! it's been over a year since i've been teaching but the soapboxes are still fresh in my mind!

i was talking to a mom of a middle schooler last week who complained that her daughter's teachers shouldn't give homework. her daughter takes music lessons, plays volleyball, and goes to church functions, but it's the homework that is getting in the way? what happens when baby girl goes to college and her profs give her work to do? call mommy then?

Arizaphale said...

Who says I am still sane??? mwahahahahahaha(maniacal laughter)

Christina said...

LOL at your maniacal laugh!

sounds like you get all those frustrating classic excuses. Ugh! I agree, it really hurts out kids when the parents constantly come to bat for them. If Nadia screws up, she's gonna take the fall for it - and then she'll do better next time!

Arizaphale said...

Flaming Sword Award to you Christina!!!