Words of Wisdom

Youth is wasted on the young.

Tuesday 16 December 2008

Birthday, Birthday Oh What Fun

Yesterday was my birthday. I have the dubious pleasure of being born exactly 10 days before Christmas. It is a crap time to have a birthday.

But..

This year my birthday started a little early as Mum and Dad arrived from the UK last week for their annual summer down south. As if their presence wasn't present enough, Dad and I played out a scene first performed when I was 12 and oft repeated throughout my life.

Dad: I've got a new camera so, do you want this one?
Me: Yes. Please. Thank you.
Dad: Don't leave this one in a Wimpy Bar. (That's what happened to the first one he gave me)

In fact, I can think of only one camera I have owned which I bought myself and that is the one which took this slightly out of focus shot.

Yes folks, my Dad has given me a digital SLR! It only has one lens and is greatly inferior to the new one he has purchased but let's face it, it walks all over my Sony Cybershot 3.2 megapixel point and shoot. It walks all over it and then it sits down and rotates. Unfortunately, he has lost the cord which connects it to the computer for downloads. "That's OK," he says" You can just put the card in your card reader."

I don't have a card reader.

Consequently you will all have to wait for photos of quality to appear, right here at 'The Flaming Sword'. Knowing my photographic abilities, you will have to wait some time.

Next in the pre-birthday gift line-up came this present from the Baby Angel. She went off to Sydney on Sunday to spend Christmas with her Dad for the first time ever (more on that later) and as she was going to miss my birthday she gave me this before she left.

There is so much I want to say about this.

Here are the things I love about my daughter.

Everything.

Here are the things she is good at.

People.
Netball.
Running.
Swimming.
Baking.
Drawing.
Operating electronic devices.
Encouragement.
Writing stories.
Taking responsibility.
Being independent.
(and this is just the tip of the iceberg)

Here are the areas where she is challenged.

Handwriting.
Craft.

I think when you have your children, especially same sex children, you expect them to inherit many of your character traits as well as your physical appearance. Thus it comes as a shock when they do not share your love of something. This is how it is with the BA and I.

I love craft; I sew, I knit, I embroider, I cross stitch, I hand paint things, I scrap book, I love craft (I rarely have time for it anymore but I love it nonetheless).
The BA does not like craft. We have many beautiful craft kits in the cupboard, given to her as a young girl when all girls received crafty presents for birthdays. We have T Shirt making kits, bead kits, flower fairy making kits, fimo, jewellery kits, foil art, collage kits. Who uses them?

Me. Usually for Sunday School (Kidzone) nowadays.

Then there's handwriting. Now this one I can kind of relate to. At school, when we did projects back in the seventies, girls always did the best titles and decoration. Remember bubble writing? Remember those fancy borders made of individually drawn flowers or butterflies or even, if the girl was particularly bright, related objects to the project so that a poster on indigenous people would have a carefully drawn border of boomerangs? Well, I was crap at those. I think my Mum introduced me to Letraset for this reason. Still, I was artistic and I had a sense of layout and placement on a page. Not so the BA.

It just isn't her thing. I mean, it's not that she isn't trying. She will spend hours on projects and her hand drawings are quite good.......but titles and lettering? Jaw droppingly bad. But look at the effort she has gone to! She has made me a card (craft remember), cut it all on the guillotine, stuck it together and written the most lovely message inside.

Dearest Mum! (I think the use of exclamation marks is also hereditary)

I think it must be hard having your
birthday so close to Christmas because

you might be afraid that people are too
busy or forget it! But I will never forget

my favourite person's birthday! I love you thiiiiiiis much *stretches arms as far as possible!* Luuuurve Baby Angel

In reasonably legible handwriting :-)

And here is my gift.

Is that not amazing? She made it in tech. It has a sliding lid and everything!
(there's that exclamation mark again)

It even has a message burned into the bottom.

To Mum, you're unbelievable! Happy Birthday! Love ****
So much writing on one box.
A present to be treasured for ever.

But wait. That's not all!
Because she is in Sydney and missing my birthday for the first time ever, her dad organised to send me these flowers from her.



And today I caught up with an old friend whom I've only seen twice in the last 30 years and she gave me these lovely flowers. There was also afternoon tea with another good friend I don't get to see often enough.


Finally, Mum and Dad took Himself and Myself out for dinner.

But wait.

There's more!

This morning, Himself reached down beside the bed and dropped a small, wrapped box onto my chest.
"Happy birthday," he said.Happy birthday indeed.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

No more Mickey Ears?

Happy Birthday! I would sned a card if I had your address.

Gawlerites said...

A big happy Birthday from all of us in Gawler, sorry we missed you on Sunday but the Dog thing we went to lingered on and we were almost too tired to drive home. I also have a digital SLR and wonder if the USB lead is the same??
Hugs and kisses

Brittany said...

You got some amazing presents, friend!! :) Happy Birthday!!!

PS- an Armoir (or however the heck it's spelled) is a large dresser for clothing- or whatever you want to use it for! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, I want to have my birthday at your house. All I got in November were two chocolate bars. Hmmm.

Happy birthday! I love handmade gifts from the children. They beat any gift any day.

chaoticfamily said...

Happy Birthday you lucky gal - sounds like you had a great one even though your girl was away you had other family there to help celebrate.

I understand the timing - my bday was last week!!!

PS - good news - biopsy results negative yay - so thanks for your comment.

Anonymous said...

Nice haul. :) It's so sweet that the BA handmade all your stuff, just cause she knows you like it. That is one special little lady.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday! Wish you'd told us earlier!
And what amazing presents, lucky lucky you, but lucky family for having Arizaphale... so what songs you putting in the ipod? What are you going to store in your personalised box? Will be good to see the pics from the new camera, don't forget to resize them! And lots of flowers! At least your birthday is in Summer in Oz, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

HAPPy BIRTHDAY!!!

A Free Man said...

Thank Christ for that iPod, you won't have to walk around looking like a 12 year old Japanese girl anymore.

Happy Virthday!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!!!

Lots of fun for any birthday - but especially a birthday so close to Christmas!!! (Hubby's is the 13th and he usuallky has a comment or two about it every year!) :)

Looks like you had a grand day - good for you!!!

Elisa

Christina said...

Happy birthday, dear Arizaphale! Looks like quite swell day. Yay for a DSLR, and yay for such an awesome daughter.

Arizaphale said...

AFM: Happy Virthday?
Christina: Yeah she's pretty special alright.
SSG: I now have 736 songs on my ipod. You want me to list em? I put beads in the box. I have to resize my pictures? Oh bugger...

And thank you everyone for your kind good wishes.

Maggie said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

What a lucky girl you are - a birthday at a time of year that is always FULL of magic and merry-making!

I hope your coming year is filled with wonderful things!