Words of Wisdom

Youth is wasted on the young.

Wednesday 26 March 2008

Just Another ******** Wednesday

You know, I am sick of teenagers.

I am sick of "I don't want to talk about it!" And when they do want to talk I am sick of angst and difficult questions. Nobody told me about the re-occurrence of terrible twos. The stamping of tiny feet. "But I don't want to DO maths." (Yea? Welcome to my life buddy)

I am sick of hauling out 'state of the art' activities to be told this is too easy. Right before they completely fail to understand the activity.

I am sick of "I don't care", a sure fire alarm signal that they DO care, and 'You can't make me!' followed quickly by "Can I have an extension?" and "Will you spend your entire lunchtime helping me so that you don't get to pick up your hamburger from the canteen and they will have thrown it out by the time you get there?"

Of social issues that outweigh an attempt to complete assignments. Of pupils who think they've 'put themselves out' when they rule up the page and that there should therefore be no further requirement of the lesson. Of bickering and defiance and vandalism.

And that's just the Baby Angel.

Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Just kidding. Though she has had her moments recently. It upsets me that she may be doing to other teachers what my pupils are doing to me.

Twelve was a crap age wasn't it? I hated it when I was twelve and it doesn't seem to have got any better. Wish I was physically equipped to deal with it. Mind you, I did get to the gym Tuesday!!!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's no way the BA is doing that to her teachers. You've taught her too well. 12 was hard. And 13. And 14. And, well, was there any relief? They just really need those caring souls like you to assure them that there will be light at the end of the tunnel.

(I'm procrastinating. I should be emptying boxes right now.)

Professor Booty said...

I don't want to be the glass half empty guy, but 12 was a piece of cake compared to 13... and 14... 15 kind of sucked too. Teenagers, joy! Good luck.

Anna Sawin said...

Hooray for the rain and for getting to the gym. The rest of it? Well, hope it gets better!

Arizaphale said...

Unfortunately I have an inkling that the BA IS doing some of this to her teachers. Mainly the 'I don't want to....' I think. And it's made worse cos her teachers are my friends. I used to work at her school.

Arizaphale said...

Dear Professor

I also have all the 13,14,and 15 year olds too. At school.They are the ones doing bickering and vandalism. And no work.

Sorry to be such a whinger but it all gets too much after awhile. Especially when you miss your hamburger.

Anonymous said...

Skipped lunch + roomful of teenagers = murder in the headlines

How's that for math? In BA's defence, sometimes you HAVE to join in the "I don't want to" just to fit in. Good, willing students are not at all cool, you know. So, even if she's giving that attitude outwardly, I am sure she knows better. You have taught her too well for it to be otherwise.

kim said...

I didn't care for myself at that age... I commend every adult who works with kids in middle school....

Rose said...

Ugh! I taught youth group at my church for years, those are challenging years. (In one way, I'm not looking forward to it...) But we teach our children in the ways they should go and hope that they come back to that as they spread their wings to fly.

Over here, Big Brother is 17 (17!!!!) and so far we've come out if it pretty unscathed! But he definately has his "I don't want to.", "What's the use?", "What's the big deal" moments on things.

Dawn said...

I totally hated being 12. One of the toughest years of my life. Come to think of it I didn't really get over it till I was 19.

:)

Andi said...

12 IS CRAP; you are right. I have very little to say except: DITTO! I am sick of it all too. Let's quit our jobs and run away from the madness! Just kidding...I COMPLETELY understand how you feel. It is so much worse to teach that age AND have a child who is similarly aged. I lived through it, and so will you. Even the sweetest of children (and BA looks so refreshingly sweet) have those unpleasant teenage moments. I NEVER in a million years thought that the daughter would have issues like that because after all, she did not even have the "terrible twos." She was SUCH a well behaved ANGEL her entire life, until...those lovely years around 12, 13, 14, and then she REALLY made up for the lack of terrible-ness in her formative years...I am pleased that we are both still alive and she's now 18. YOU will make it! I promise :)
Now, about your students...if you find any solutions, PLEASE pass them along! I could use the help too. LOL

Anonymous said...

Yeah, 12 pretty much stunk. My son doesn't think 13 is so great either.

Here's a {hug} for you, mom.

And I tagged you. :) My name links the post.

Anonymous said...

ohmygod I am so dreading this with my own girls. I was no cake walk at that age, and I've heard alllll about that karma thing.... Here's hoping you get hot fresh hamburgers daily, and that your own Baby Angel is an example to her fellow students. A GOOD example (guess I should clarify, huh?) :)