Words of Wisdom

Youth is wasted on the young.

Tuesday 10 July 2007

Fluffernutters

What is a Fluffernutter? THAT is the question!!!!
One of the joys of the blogging community is that we are educated in the idiosyncrasies and peccadilloes of other cultures, in this case, that of a certain percentage of States in the USA. In these wild and frontier parts, they partake of a delicacy known as the Fluffernutter. Yes, you read it right. This is apparently a sandwich layering marshmallow "Fluff" with peanut butter and if you follow this link you will even be able to listen to the jingle!!

Now before all you Australians fall about in hysterics at the bizarre nature of American gastronomy, I will just say one word to you.......Vegemite!!!

Ah, see, that shut you up!

For the uninitiated, Vegemite is a savoury yeast extract which is especially delicious spread with butter on fresh white bread. It also makes good stock for stews and soups. Outside of the national boundaries however it is generally deemed repulsive, nauseating and downright inedible.

But it put me in mind of unusual sandwich fillings. My Dad for instance, used to love apricot jam accompanied by a good hunk of cheddar cheese in a sandwich. Many people will empathise with the US love for peanut butter and jam (jelly) and here in Adelaide my daughter and I love peanut butter and Nutella (choc/hazelnut spread).

There is a Fluff style spread available in the stores here I'm pretty sure, although I have never bought it as we weren't allowed to have that kind of thing when I was a girl and Mum's voice is still in my head and over my shoulder. However, once Baby Angel gets her own income I'm sure she will buy bulk quantities of this and any other previously forbidden delicacies.

Oh well, she will be paying her own dental bills by then!! :-D

So what is your particular weird sandwich???

4 comments:

kim said...

I've never had a fluffernutter. Can't say I ever will. I do, however, like peanut butter and apple butter sandwiches. Especially in the fall when you can get it (apple butter) fresh from the orchard!

Melody A. said...

I just got back from our whirlwind trip and shoulnd't be on the computer but... yes, the fluffernutter. One of my 6 year old's favorites.

Arizaphale said...

Peanut butter and applebutter, now there's a new one!!

kcjoz said...

Mine is like kim's : peanut or Nutella with a wipe of butter, but fresh thin slices of sweet apple.