Words of Wisdom

Youth is wasted on the young.

Thursday 4 August 2011

Crafty Tuesday aka Thursday aka Friday: The Wishful Thinking Dress

I call this my Wishful Thinking dress as a) I am wishing it was warmer and b) I am wishing I could fit into it.

I have let myself go completely of late and, despite a contract with my beloved Middle Sis, aimed at getting both of us down to an ideal weight before her arrival in October, do not seem to be able to do anything about it. Consequently, this dress is a little tight around the tummy, but I am determined to be back into it by Summer. As a result of my lack of fit, I have not rushed to sew up the hem. But that is another story.

I had intended to post this for Crafty Tuesday but we seem to be in the middle of a vicious vortex of activity which leaves me alternately a) so busy at night that I don't get near the computer or b) asleep on the couch at 9pm. We are very excited to have The Strange Scottish Girl staying with us at present. I started following her (now defunct) blog, 'Wake Up It's Tuesday', in late 2007 as she was the colleague of A Free Man (the much missed music, fatherhood and science blogger; he's taking a lengthy bloggin' break to get on with life) and left many a witty comment on his site. After A Free Family moved to Adelaide to join us in the real world, we kept in touch with the SSG as she agonised over life choices such as job changes and university study. Frequently, A Free Man would tease her about coming over to Oz to babysit for him so imagine our delight when he informed us that she actually was coming!

The SSG has been staying with the Free Family since May now, during which time we have been delighted to get to know her in person. With the arrival of 4 o/s friends of the DVDs, a spare bed was required and we were delighted to accommodate her at Chez Arizaphale. She has fitted into our dysfunctional family unit like a hand into a glove. She brings a ready smile and intelligent conversation into our rather mundane world.

And she's a sew-er!!!!!!!! (as opposed to a drain for the removal of effluent which was my first spelling of the word!)

The SSG has been making a quilt out of patchwork denim that she's cut up out of old jeans. It is dead impressive and a work of art really. I will take a photo and post it on another Crafty Tuesday (and claim it as mine).


Meanwhile. Here's my summer 'wishful thinking' dress.

5 comments:

Rose said...

I love the wishful thinking dress, it looks very flow-y. Sounds like your enjoying your company, glad you decided not to call her a sewer! LOL
I'll come visit next! Hee-hee!

I had a no-sew crafty Tuesday.

Arizaphale said...

Thanks GL! You're welcome to our humble B&B hahah.

Jill said...

Awww...I miss A Free Man's blog. :-( Pretty dress though! I've been fighting to get off five pounds that don't belong. Not fun! I'd rather just eat chocolate and ice cream! But I have a pair of jeans that I'm afraid will never see my waist again, so I have to keep working.

Mid Sis said...

I'm the same Big Sis, am conscious that it is only 5 weeks away from the Turkish holiday when I most certainly don't intend to curtail my eating! And then only 7 weeks until I fly to Adelaide. On Sunday we rode our bikes for the first time in 4 years, today I rode it again to the gym - all very well but I then seem to ruin it all by eating too much - I will persevere - have lost 2lbs anyway.....xxx

Unknown said...

I can't believe I almost missed this one last week while on vacation! I LOVE the wishful thinking dress. I am wishful thinking I had one, in fact.

I'm cracking up at sewer/sew-er! Ha! I think SSG should post her work of art and join in CT when she is done! I wanna see it.