Words of Wisdom

Youth is wasted on the young.

Thursday 9 July 2009

Theme Thursday: Reunion

I wanted to be all clever with this theme and post something that referred to my waistline and Size 10 reuniting but I ran out of creativity.

I also wanted to post the last Family Photo we did, just before my sisters left back in January. Himself stood on the balcony and took us all standing in the driveway but I don't think anyone emailed me a copy!

So instead I found this one. This is from 2005 when the BA and I traveled back to the UK for the first time since we moved back to Australia in Jan 03. Here's another that I took although we're still missing one of the husbands......don't know where he was at the time.Aside from my family, these people were the most important people in the world to me in the years after the Baby Angel was born. The kids were all born within 5 months of each other and we met at Baby Massage class and through mutual friends (who are not in this picture since they moved to London). The support we gave each other through the early difficult days of baby and toddlerhood was immeasurable. The outings, playdates and wet Sunday afternoon lunches with red wine were the things that kept us together and kept us all going. The Missing Husband and Tall, Dark and Handsome up the back there, were my Baby Group with brains. Being flexi-workers we were able to meet up once a week for lunch with the kids. We took it in turns to host and to cook and those two fellows proved the best testing ground for my meagre cooking skills. They were always encouraging and generally ate everything I offered. We discussed many topics; politics, history, culture, literature, music and of course, children.

The reunion in the New Year of 2005 was exuberant and joyful. For three weeks or so we were able to fall back into our old patterns; walking in the Country Parks, sleepovers, meals, ice skating, ball games in the park. It was wonderful.

All of us have moved on in our lives since this photo. I am remarried; the bearded gentleman at the back has a new super duper job up in Edinburgh and lives away from the family during the week; Tall, Dark and Handsome became a primary school teacher and at last contact was being fast tracked into Assistant Principal; parents have passed away, kids are in High School and life marches on. Thank God.

We love them all so much and we can't wait for another Reunion although who knows when that will be :-(

Check out AmyJo's Reunion and join in Theme Thursday with us.

7 comments:

Jill said...

So they're not in Australia, right?

Nice photo, and nice to have had a group like that. We used to have a little playgroup that met once a week and there were days when my boy was a newborn and my gal was a terrible two that I just LIVED for the adult interaction of that group.

Amy Jo said...

Isn't it amazing how sometimes people meet and all of a sudden everything clicks? Friends like that are invaluable, especially once babies are added to the mix. Thanks for sharing your story and photos!

Stacy said...

What a great memory! Those that help us parents out when we start out definitely have a warm place in the heart. :)

Megan said...

reunions of all kinds are so great, aren't they?

cherish.photography said...

Family is so special!

Anna Sawin said...

These relationships are just so special, aren't they? Love the stories and the photos!

Maggie said...

What a perfect story/photo duo - love it!