Words of Wisdom

Youth is wasted on the young.

Friday 5 September 2008

Alles Ist Besser Als Mathe



The German Fairytale thing was yesterday. In a stroke of brilliance and luck I had discovered that there were two performances: lessons 3 and 4. I negotiated with the amenable (and talented) German department to bring my small group in the second lesson, thus giving me time to administer the mini test that I need for report writing (coming soon to this computer). They would work hard for 35mins and have a fun second lesson followed by some well earned cake.

That was the plan.

Of course all the other maths classes told them we were going in lesson 3 so after recess I had to go and extract them from the rabbling hordes assembling outside the recital room. After marching them back to the classroom, we then engaged in 10 minutes worth of argument.

Firstly I had to convince them that we WERE going to the play (after all I am JUST the sort of teacher who deliberately prevents them from having fun), they would just need to wait for the next lesson. Actually, I found it quite interesting that they assumed they were being prevented from going altogether. Some sort of Freudian guilty complex perhaps? I'm still not sure if that's a good thing because it means they are acknowledging their current poor behaviour, or a bad thing because it once more indicates their poor self image.

THEN came the argument that all their friends were going in this lesson and it would be no fun going with the next group (whoever they were) cos they didn't have anyone to talk to. After pointing out the obvious fact that one does not need to 'talk' to anyone through a play there were more protests about the unfairness of it all. Of course I went down the usual parent/teacher road which was 'if you don't stop complaining we won't be going AT ALL'........aaaand eventually we settled to our test.

The bell went. Not one of the them moved.
Miss 'I have nothing better to do with my time than argue with you' looked up from the front row and said,
"We don't have to rush. It'll take ages for the others to get there and get organised," and bent her head back down to her test.
Mr 'I can't do anything and stop asking me and hit the back wall and swear at everyone', looked up and said,
"Do we have to go to this thing? Can't we just finish the test?"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

For the record, the plays were very cute: Frau Holle and Konig Drosselbart(I think). I'm not sure how much the kids followed as they were unfamiliar stories but the German cake afterwards was GREAT!!!!!

And today is a pupil free day*happy sigh*



image credit

4 comments:

The Honourable Husband said...

Die Rabbitten haben meinen Karotten abgenibbelt. Das ist Alles.

Bis später

Anonymous said...

Wow - I am sure the look on my face when reading their comments about not hurrying and wanting to finish the test was nothng compared to the look that must have been on your face! WOW - who are these kids and what did they do with your class?
Elisa

Arizaphale said...

Amen Elisa!

we_be_toys said...

How cool is that - German fairytale day? It is the home of the original fairytale, after all!

I love that you say "Youse" in Australia - did you know that is also the same word used in the New York state dialect as well? In western PA they say "Youns", which is another one of those lovely colloquial pluralisms, so see? You would be right at home!