Words of Wisdom

Youth is wasted on the young.

Tuesday 12 February 2008

The Flaming Sword in Action. Painful to Watch.


Well, I promised a Flaming Sword post but it has to be a fast one as I am procrastinating again.

Scene: morning in a campsite. A family is making its way through the site to the kiosk on the beach for a cooked breakfast 'treat'. It is cold. Everyone is wearing parkas/anoraks, beanies and the like. The youngest child, let's say a boy around ooooh 9 years old, is on a scooter wearing a T shirt.

Father suggests that youngest should go back and put on a jumper, at very least. Child demurs. He is 'not cold'. He has also been coughing in a chesty manner for the past few weeks. Father insists, explaining that boy may become unwell. Boy continues to refuse. Father, tired from a hard night putting up tents etc, loses it.

"Alright, but don't you ask me for ANY help, don't you ask me to BUY you anything, don't ask me to DO anything with you for the rest of the weekend." (Father has blown rule no1 of assertive parenting....never threaten anything you can't carry out.)

"Fine," comes the defiant and voluble reply. "I hate you anyway and I don't want any breakfast and I'm not going to eat anything the whole weekend and you can't make me and you're mean to me ......." (you get the picture. Very ugly. Child scoots off in opposite direction)

Family proceed on to the kiosk with father seething like a bear with a sore head and other family members tiptoeing on egg shells around him.

On return from the kiosk (not open for another 20 mins), wife of father spots boy scooting around at a distance, still wearing only a T shirt. Having initially not wanted to 'get involved' she makes a decision. The next time the boy comes near the camp site she calls him over. He comes reluctantly and she attempts a rational explanation for the warmer clothes. This falls not so much on deaf ears as on ragingly rampant ears. More shrieking and abuse follow. "I won't, I won't. You can't make me."

Wife takes boy by arm and informs him that he WILL be putting on the jumper because it is cold and because 'they'-the parents- are in charge and they know best. Some kicking and screaming follows as wife firmly puts jumper on squirming boy. Father now enters the fray. There is general abuse of child and child's personality. There are threats to send child home.

At this point it is difficult to tell who is riding on the crest of emotion more dangerously, father or son.

Wife explains that they will NOT be sending child home and there is not need for name calling and of course he will be allowed to have breakfast but the fact of the matter is simply that he WILL do as he's told and wear the jumper.

"You're NOT MY MOTHER."

Wife is not falling for this old chestnut and agrees that no, she is not his mother but she does love him and she does not want him to get sick. Now, as he tries to remove the offending jumper she holds him in the 'cuddle hold' from behind, pinning his arms. The issue now becomes one of 'let me go'.

"I will let you go when you are calm and I know you won't do anything silly and hurt yourself."
"This is the worst day of my life."
"Oh, no, I'm sure there's been worse...remember the time I chased you round the garage? And when I smacked your bottom cos you wouldn't put the pizza box in the bin? They were MUCH worse." (this attempt at a bit of humour to defuse the situation was a long shot)

Eventually, he calmed sufficiently to be released although he immediately stormed off and sat on the beach. Father was beside himself. He didn't understand the approach. Why did the boy always have to spoil it for everyone? He should be sent home. He is a little ****.

Wife, by now panting from the physical exertion of restraining the boy and from the emotional exertion of having made a decision to act and having to follow it through, tries to explain her 'approach' to the father.

He needs to know his boundaries. He needs to do as he's told on issues of health an safety without it turning into a case of rejection for being bad. Let me try this again...it's so hard to explain when you know intuitively.....he must do as he's told. On some issues there can be no negotiation. Threatening and berating him when he does not co-operate is rejection, emotional blackmail ie 'I only love you when you're good.' Emotional blackmail is hurtful and does not create the behaviour you wish to encourage. It also does not make him feel secure in the fact that his parents are in control.

As much as a child screams at you...'I'm in control of me!' they are not and really do not WANT to be (this becomes a much more difficult call as they get older). They need to know that you mean what you say and that you are in control.

Now, it could be argued that this was a lot of fuss about a jumper but the issues here are much greater. Yes, it was important that he wear a jumper but it was just as important that the family dynamic which had been created as a result of his refusal and his father's response was neutralised. It was important that a point was made and that it was made with love. The wife repeated over and over as she held the child that his parents loved him and that sometimes they just knew best. She negated father's unhelpful name calling by assuring the child that dad was angry but still loved him. Father fortunately picked up on this cue and stopped.

Now, I suspect the wife was worried at this point that she had gone out on a limb and that the situation could not be reined in. Father was livid, with her, as much as with the child. Child was sitting away at a distance refusing to speak to anyone. Neighbouring campsites were looking at the family with a mixture of shock and sympathy. Other siblings had gone for a long walk on the breakwater. "He spoils it for everyone," bellowed the father. "Well, life is not always fun and games you know. Sometimes parenting is damn hard work and we owe it to the kids to DO that hard work."

She glanced around now and noticed the child had gone. There must have been a momentary panic but she soon spotted him up the other end of the beach. Not too far away. Looking her way and starting to take off the jumper. As soon as he made eye contact with her he stopped and left it on. She sauntered up to the wall near to where he was now picking up items on the beach in the company of his elder siblings.

As the neighbours commiserated with her and asked if that sort of thing 'happens often', the child called out her name from the beach and held up a shell.

"Look what I found!", he grinned,"Can you put it in your pocket?"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The family proceeded to collectively comb the beach, smiling and calling to each other. Within 15 minutes the child was wrapping himself around her leg for a cuddle.They didn't have anymore trouble in the time that they were there.

I'm so glad MY family's not like that.

13 comments:

Brittany said...

are you sure that wasn't your family??? ;)

Great story, nonetheless.

A Free Man said...

Gosh I'm looking forward to struggles like this.

I do think that you're right that the kids crave the discipline and control more than they would like to admit. But I'm such a wimp about trying to apply it! That's going to have to change, I suppose.

I can handle the gently sarcastic humor - No, this isn't your worst day ever! ;)

Stacy said...

Next can you explain to me why it is always the MOTHER'S responsibility to be the level headed, authoritative one?? Thanks for your flaming sword in action posts. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one that thinks this way. :)

Anonymous said...

So glad it all worked out! You were right to jump in and take the risk and it paid off. That boy does love you although it seems that he doesn't want you to realize it....maybe guilt at loving 2 moms? You are doing great with him!!!!
Elisa

Anonymous said...

Bless your heart. I know it was hard to do the right thing in that situation and be the adult for everyone. Sounds like it paid off in the end.

Maggie said...

Ahhh, aren't children the ultimate in lovely sometimes?

Sometimes I think it's a wonder that any of us grew up at all...that we weren't all strangled by our parents first!

Arizaphale said...

Brittany: How could you think such a thing?

Chris: His father then chirped in with "...and it's going to get a lot worse....give him to me!!!!!"

Stacy: I wish I knew!

Elisa: I know he loves me and I always support his Mum and tell him what a good job she does (even when I wonder sometimes)so there is no competition between us in his mind. I think it can be confusing for him sometimes though.

Jessie: Thanks. You hit the nail on the head.

Maggie: hahahahahahaha

Anonymous said...

Oh, yea. None of our families are EVER like that. They are perfect in every way.

My little V can be a challenge sometimes. She gets jealous sometimes when I have to devote time to N mostly during homework time. I can get on her pretty hard cuz she can do some real irrational things. It's hard, I know in the end that it's the right thing to do.

Andi said...

Is it wrong of me to have laughed OUT LOUD at this poor family's struggle on this lovely weekend get-a-way at the beach??? If so, then I whole-heartedly apologize for the inappropriate nature of my reaction! By the way, you are a FABULOUS story-teller!! I am, more honestly, laughing because I so clearly recognize this scene... different players, different issues, but the same none the less! I am happy for you that it worked out well in the end. As parents, we all have our moments when it is so difficult to remain calm and to remain the adult. You are doing a fine job with your sword.

natalie said...

Do you think sometimes we know these things more because we see the results of parents who don't do the hard work of parenting?

I lost it today with three of my kids. I was "that dad." I didn't berate them, exactly, but I did tell the boy that if he so much as THINKS of stepping out of line ONE.MORE.TIME. I was packing his stuff up and sending him back to his neighborhood school. (I teach at a magnet school where students apply to attend...each student has a school in his/her neighborhood that he/she is districted for.) Even now, when I am calm, I would still do that. He pushed the limit too far today. However, maybe I shouldn't have screamed in his face.

How is that related? His misbehavior is DIRECTLY related to his mother's opinion of him. She believes he HUNG THE MOON. He's the best thing since sliced bread. She pretends to support me when I confront her with his behavior, but she NEVER, EVER, EVER follows through with her end of the bargain. So I have a spoiled brat on my hands who refuses to submit to authority, obey, complete his assignments without sauntering across the room and having tons of social time.

And I also agree that, as the mother, I do 90% of the disciplining. H doesn't get home until after she's gone to bed many nights. He does get her up in the morning and feed her breakfast while I finish getting ready.

Oh, dear...I could go on with this more and more. Maybe I'll post about it myself.

kim said...

I can't imagine how hard it must be - being a stepmom. You're a great one!

kcjoz said...

I did that to my mother once. The second time she didn't talk to me for two weeks.

That was worse than any verbal or minor physical abuse ever given.

Strange Scottish Girl said...

ah you can learn a lot from this post. how hard can it be though if you think (and know) the wife was doing her best, and how can she explain it to hubby without him feeling hurt? ah life is complicated