Words of Wisdom

Youth is wasted on the young.

Saturday 11 August 2007

Fasten Your Seatbelts

Small Boy is back from his two week holiday in Queensland with his Mum and siblings,Uncle, Aunt and cousins, who were over from the UK, and grandparents. We haven't had him here for three weeks now and when I staggered in full of cold this evening he was ensconced on the sofa under a quilt because he has the flu.

He wouldn't speak to me, fine with me as I was too tired anyway, and didn't have any dinner. I went to bed and left his father to deal with him but I have an uneasy feeling about all this. He's been out of our sphere for a while now and I suspect we are going to have the usual boundary challenging behaviour coupled with 'you have to let me cause I'm sick, poor me etc etc'. His father will melt like an icecube in the bathtub.

Example. Playing football for his school has obviously been cancelled for tomorrow but I was nearly able to get some cheap tickets for a big league match in the afternoon. I expressed relief that I hadn't got them as he is obviously too sick to go and he whimpered from the sofa "But I want to go to the football daddy, please will you buy me some tickets??" There was no response from his dad. I just KNOW he'll take that kid to the football where they will sit in the freezing cold stands and Small Boy will demand junk food and complain bitterly about everything cos he's sick and his father will come home furious that he can't behave himself.

And I am too sick to enter into it all. I haven't got the energy.

In a way its good if I absent myself as father and son need some time together and I know when we're all together father's attention is often on me and interaction is also left to me. SB said to me on one tantrum occasion "Daddy doesn't love me, he loves YOU." Ouch.

I really hope I am over reacting due to my current unwellness. I am sure I probably am. Either way its going to be a bumpy weekend. Now, having slept from 8.30pm til 2am last night. I will retire again to me sickbed and go back to sleep.

2 comments:

Cari said...

I love your thought for the day today. I hope that you will be feeling better soon and that your weekend will not be a bumpy one.

Anonymous said...

sending "smooth sailing" thoughts your way - get well soon!