Words of Wisdom

Youth is wasted on the young.

Wednesday 21 January 2009

Visit To An Island: Part 1

I do love Kangaroo Island.

Because of Himself's work, the two of us have been there a number of times and last week we were excited to find, at short notice, just about the last holiday house on the island.
There may have been a reason for that! Still, rustic but available.
Catching the ferry across last Wednesday, we were able to share some of the Island's rugged beauty with our families, for the first time.

We stayed at Baudin Beach and on the first afternoon we ventured out to find the beach which, we had been informed, was at the end of the road.


Knowing how I love to read every sign or plaque wherever we are, my sister was keen to continue our walk without interruption.

"Move along there Sis, nothing to see here!"I could not be deterred however so she and the BA went on ahead. This is the approach to Baudin Beach.

And this is the beach itself.I never fail to be awed by the size and emptiness of the beaches on the island. Mind you, they're not that empty. I took advantage of my recently discovered macro setting to capture a few examples of the natural beauty. This one is taken in a rockpool.This is samphire and looks brilliant up close. See if you can click and enlarge it.Salt and shells in an ex-rockpool.My sister reflects on the relative sizes of the UK and Australia.
And of course, with such an expanse of beach to play on, there was much frolicking.
I told you there was a plethora of pictures.

More tomorrow!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rustic indeed. My Hubs also has to read every sign and plaque around.

Anonymous said...

Samphire looks great! What is it? Also your remind me of my grampa- he read every plaque in every museum we ever went to him with!

Brittany said...

Looks like fun!!!! :)