Words of Wisdom

Youth is wasted on the young.

Monday 12 January 2009

Best Shot Monday: A Plethora of Outings III: Victor Harbour

I am not sure why I feel this is my Best Shot this week. It's taken from the top of a horse drawn tram, crossing The Causeway from Granite Island to Victor Harbour. I guess I like the composition with the causeway stretching off into the distance and the mainland laid out across the horizon. We were suffering from the rather overcast day, but I still kinda like it.


This was yet another of the numerous family outings we have been involved with lately. VictorHarbour is a seaside town on the south coast of SA which nestles a small island within the safety of its sweeping bay. The island has long been the habitat of a colony of Fairy Penguins (although I believe they are now called 'Little Penguins' rather than 'fairy' for fear of upsetting the gay community.... I don't think I've ever heard anything SO ridiculous)I managed to captured this baby waiting patiently for its parents to return with food.


The day started badly when Himself's car broke down halfway to the coast. It's about an hour drive and he had the good fortune to stop just outside a small town so I was able to drive back and pick up some oil. Apparently in this day and age your car will not allow you to cook the engine like it did in the old days; the onboard computer shuts everything down and you simply stop until you can remedy the problem. Thank goodnes it was so simple I hear you say.Yes, well. That would work very well if the human factor was not involved. Particularly the male, 'will not be told' human factor.

On my return I held the funnel whilst Himself added oil to the engine. After a litre or so he checked the dipstick and found that the oil was only just registering. Grumbling mightily he proceeded to pour with abandon.

Me: Er, don't you think you ought to check the levels before you put too much more in.
Himself: *grunt*
Me: No, really, just check it, it's easier to put more in than take it out...
Himself: It was barely even registering before, it's going to need all of this.
Me: But it wouldn't hurt to check, I mean, you don't want to overfill it...
Himself *annoyed grunt*
Me: resigned sigh

The car still didn't start but we attributed that to a need to 'reset' somehow and called the RAA.
I loaded the troops into my poor little car and we struggled off to Victor to meet the parent body who had arrived ahead of us. After the obligatory hot dogs, chips and souvenir hunt at the kiosk we walked The Causeway to the Island and proceeded to explore.
During this pleasant, if cold and windy (check out Small Boy in the above photo) venture I received several more calls from Himself, still nursing his stranded vehicle.

Call 1
Himself: Well, it started once the RAA guy got here and he just told me off for letting the oil get
so low!
Me: No comment. Are you on your way then?
Himself: Yes, I'll be with you shortly.

Call 2 (15 minutes later)
Himself: Uhhhhh, the car's starting to sound rough again and the oil light's back on. I'm going to
stop.
Me: OK. How come the oil light's on again? It must be the oil pump or something.
Himself: Errr no, it's just oil related.
Me: What do you mean 'oil related'?
Himself: Nevermind, I'm pulling over now. I'll call you in a minute.

Call 3 (30 minutes later....allowing me time to 'forget' our previous conversation perhaps?)
Himself: OK It's cooled down and I'm going again but I'm going to head back to Adelaide.
Me: That sounds like a good idea. I still don't get why the oil light is coming on....
Himself: Well it might be because I ^%&^%&^&^%&^%$#%@# .
Me: Sorry? You're breaking up....because you what???
Himself: (covering mouth with hand) ) I *(**&^*&&^$^%#%#ed it.....
Me: Did you say you OVERFILLED it???????????????????????????????

I have been a very good wife since then and not mentioned this once. Even though we have to wait until Weds to have it serviced cos the Jeep Service Centres are all booked up and even though we have to HIRE a second car to get us on our NEXT excursion!!!! I have only once said 'I told you so.' Unless this counts for twice. :-D


Nevertheless, Himself has had to pay for his crime by taking 3 hours to complete a 1 hour drive back to Adelaide and missing out on a lovely trip with the kids. Here is the lovely beast that pulls the historic tram.

Here's the gang enjoying the view.
(Dad, Dad! I know you have been here 1 000 000 times before with all your geology students but for heavens sake try to look interested.)
Here's how close we seemed to be to the edge.



And here's an alternate mode of transport available on the beach. See how Ginger is enjoying the proximity of the next camel!!!


For more photographic fun check out Best Shot Monday at Tracey's place.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all, they will never learn.

Second, I want to know more about the horse drawn tram. A horse is pulling what across the water? Is a tram like a boat? That is very interesting. I'm glad you were still able to have a good time despite troubles in the air.

Blueberry said...

men! ;)

lovely pictures. looks like it was a great day, too bad someone missed it. (he he) love the little penguins and the camels!

Rose said...

What a fun excursion - for most of the family. Yeah, that horse drawn tram and water, huh?

A Free Man said...

Aha, I get to make a school teacher-esque correction! Victor HarBOR uses the American spelling - apparently due to errors made by early surveyors.

The BA looks about as underwhelmed as her grandpa in that photo.

Maggie said...

How cool! I love that I get to see all these places near you that I will never get to see in real life!

Anonymous said...

What a fun time!!

Katie Swaner said...

I love reading about your outings. I hate that I have no time to comment anymore. Stupid job and their new restrictive internet policies. Bah!

I'm glad you're getting to enjoy your visit so much. It must be hard not to see your family much

Anonymous said...

haha - totally could see how that car episode was going to end.

HILARIOUS!!!

we_be_toys said...

Ah family outings! What a cool place to go see. I loved the big weird rock formation the kids were huddled in.
And don't even get me started on men and their hormone-based inability to listen to women. My husband just had to re-roof over the bathrooms because he never sealed up the hole around the exhaust fan 5 years ago. Ask me how many times I begged him to finish the job - OY!

Nive word verification today - "plopper" - my boys would have a field day with that one!