Words of Wisdom

Youth is wasted on the young.

Wednesday 21 January 2009

I am Nothing If Not Helpful


It is official. My family think I am mad.

Firstly there was the whole running late for the airport thing and leaving the house in a 1980s navy blue and white polka dotted culottes set complete with shoulder pads. (Well, it's very loose and comfortable on these hot days around the house and I have just never got around to cutting the shoulder pads out!)

Middle Sis: What the h*** are you wearing?????
Baby Angel: Mum, you don't really have the legs to carry that outfit off.

Then there was the whole family photo thing.

You know what it's like. Whole family together after four years, four of them departing, let's take one last photo...you know the thing! Everyone bunches up and one person takes the photo, then they get in the picture and someone else comes out to take it and finally someone sets up a PAS with a timer on a chair and runs back to the group tripping over the chair so that you get a photo of the Qantas ad on the wall opposite, then they run back and do the whole thing again....you know how it goes.




So when, with red eyes and tear stained faces our depleted group dragged itself melancholically* down the concourse past a group of about twenty, doing the same family photo thing, our hearts immediately went out to them.

Mum: We should offer to take a photo for them
Middle Sis: I think they've already asked someone....I think the lady taking the photo is a stranger.

We stopped and watched carefully as the photo was taken. The woman checked the shot in the camera and then called to another member of the group. This was our cue. Obviously the people needed help so that everyone was in the photo.

I don't think they were quite prepared however for my sister and I racing each other to offer that help. Or the fact that I vaulted over the airport sofa en route (see orange sofa in picture above). Or my navy polka dot 1980s culottes.

The BA played this scene over to herself in her head for the rest of the day, especially the look on the woman's face. I know this because from time to time she would fold over, cross her legs, gasp hysterically and shriek with laughter.

A little unkind I thought.

edited to include photos

*I suspect this is not a real word but I am running too late to look it up.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You tell a tale like no other! I was giggling like a mad woman at your telling of not only your family photo - but trying to take someone's family photo for them.

The leap over the sofa with the culottes and shoulder pads about did me in!

What a gift it is to find humor in just about any place!

Love the post!!!

Anonymous said...

ah enfin!! The whole family! How nice to see all of you together (and geeze... the similarity of you all)... I was also tearing for you just by imagining the parting scene (the pregnant hormone effect). However, once I started to think about the 'chaotic madness' (excuse for my French) when all the N family is present.... I can't help but laughing!!

;-)

Arizaphale said...

Ah Nan Chin, you know us well !!!! Hahahahahaha

A Free Man said...

You were late to the airport? I don't believe it.

I meant to offer to take a picture of you guys on Sunday, but the idea slipped. Sorry!

Anonymous said...

Ah - there were photos!!

When I read this yesterday - no photos came through! Lovely to see the family - how fun!!!!