Words of Wisdom

Youth is wasted on the young.

Thursday 16 August 2007

Theme Thursday: Fly! My pretties...fly!!! AhHahahahahahaha

Quote: Wizard of OzOnce more for Theme Thursday I have trawled the archives as my brilliant ideas failed to materialise.

Firstly I thought of the Australian obvious...the housefly. Now the weather must be taking a Spring turn as I saw a fly in the bathroom the other day. 'That would be a great capture,' I thought to myself. But of course, when I got there the cupboard was bare.

Then I thought of the constant stream of planes flying over my classroom at shockingly regular and decibel stretching intervals every day. "That's it!" I beamed to myself and took my camera into school today. Of course at 3.03pm (yes...03 not 30....its all about the train service) the kids bolted, the day was over and I had not caught one of the irritating sky juggernauts with my lens.

"Why do they call men's trouser openings 'flies'?" I mused of my husband as I washed dishes this evening. "And do you think I could make a picture around it?" He looked at me with an expression that said, "Darling, I love you dearly but you are QUITE literally insane".

So rather than shock all and sundry with up close and personal pictures of men's trousers, here is a picture of my daughter 'flying' through the air on the 'swing' or 'shuggy' boats (depending on which part of Britain you hail from). This was the Winchester 'Hat Fair' of 2002, one of the many fantastic outdoor festivals held in the UK during the Summer. Mind you, I think they have more important things on their minds this year with all the flooding.

Oh, by the way, we found the fly tonight.....in the milkshake maker. Eeeewwww.
It was dead though. :-D

And now, fly over to Picture This for more Theme Thursday!

16 comments:

Melody A. said...

My girls would love that huge swingin' boat thing. How fun.

Your comments always delight me. Yes, that is the Alamo. We've been in and around the Alamo City for a very long time.

Brittany said...

Ugh. Flies. They are everywhere here! Very gross to find yours in the milkshake maker. ew.

Love the shot, though! I would have loved one of those contraptions as a kid!

Stacy said...

Yes, thank you for sparing us the men's fly. ;) Baby Angel is adorable as she is clinging to the swing. Was she nervous at all? Great shot of a childhood moment. :)

Anonymous said...

love the train of thought in your post. i wracked my brain this week, too, trying to capture something "fly" related!

Arizaphale said...

The BA was not nervous in least, which is funny now as she will not go on any mechanical rides in the fun fairs. Perhaps there is something in that.....in the shuggy boats You are in control...hmmmm....oh dear I hope she isn't taking after her mother....

Christina said...

Well, I for one think you did a fine job finding an appropriate FLYING picture! Classic childhood moment, too!

tracey clark said...

I would have loved to see the fly shot of your husband--ha ha ha! That made me laugh.

Your shot is quite perfect for fly none the less.

Arizaphale said...

I think you would have been the only one Tracey hahahahah :-D
Cheers. Thanks for stopping by!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this flying shot. My tummy can feel that up-down sensation.

Wish my fly was dead...it's driving me insane and now it will not sit still to be swatted! I sound cruel.

Karen said...

Great photo! I had the same types of inspiration throughout the week and failed to capture any of them. It was nice to have the ideas, though!

This is a fun shot. Thank you for sharing!

mandaroo63 said...

eww, that would creep me out! Great shot of your kids flying though! Looks like they're having a lot of fun!

Anonymous said...

that swing looks like so much fun! i want to ride in an adult sized one!

jenny said...

The flying shot you went with looks like fun. I can't think of an American word for it, though. Flies are all over the world, I guess! They love to get our dog's food.

Anonymous said...

I love your narrative voice, always so warm and charming!

And holy cow, that is taking flight!
Wow what a shot!

kim said...

Isn't it so much fun to go back and look at old pictures? I love that one. Fun!

Cari said...

They are flying high! I love it.