Words of Wisdom

Youth is wasted on the young.

Wednesday 24 July 2019

So Is This Like When You Only Pray Because You're Scared?

How long have I left this blog untouched??? I was moderately surprised to see an almost complete post waiting for me when I clicked on. It took a single photo to complete and yet it has been waiting since January.

Hmm.

So what has brought me back?

Well, it's never good is it? We post the good stuff on facebook. Mind you, I also post some pretty annoying stuff on facebook. This year I can count possums, ceiling leaks, dead rats, significant hip pain and expensive dental work in the topics I have posted about on facebook. None of which drove me back to blogger. Interestingly.

So why am I back now? It's my kid of course.

Last time I expressed fear and anxiety about my bebe back in January, it was around the topic of getting a job. Well, she got one. Of course she did. She is eminently employable: attractive, articulate,  competent, intelligent.

But she's working reception in an accommodations firm.

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with this. Except I know my kid and I know this is not where she will ultimately be.
She is still struggling to find her direction.
She is deeply unhappy.

If all she needed to do was find a job. Shes achieved that. But hasn't brought her happiness. She has so much more to give and she desperately needs a passion.

Sadly, her erratic hours mean she cannot commit to any extra curricular activities like sport or theater. I am sure she needs to find a job which gives her more conventional hours so she can plan out other parts of her life. Either that or she needs a job which actually fulfills her need to contribute to society...

The worst part about all of this for me is that I continue to be 'irritating' and 'annoying' in my attempts to encourage and reassure her. I cannot think of one thing which I can do which would be well received.

I am not sure how to handle this and I am VERY interested in any ideas any of you may have.

3 comments:

BrightenedBoy said...

It's really hard to see how your being supportive could be "annoying" to her. Maybe she's harboring disquiet about something she hasn't shared with you yet. In any case, it's very good to hear she's employed. It might not be perfect, but it's a big step.

Arizaphale said...

Ugh BB. I think it is the role of parents to be annoying. As for disquiet....it is my deep fear that there has been multiple unhappinesses around lads which she has somehow managed to keep under the radar. She keeps saying things like 'well that's what boys are like'.... :-(

Anonymous said...

You know what, sometimes I don't think it matters what you say, as a parent, it's always annoying or wrong!!! :-(
I feel your pain, but sadly have no constructive advice as I am also feeling your pain. Nothing I say seems to be right!!!! It's always the wrong thing!!! Hopefully an age thing. Of course, if the favorite aunt says the same thing, it is right!!! I think it was easier for us. I know K would dearly love to move out & personally, it would probably be a good thing, but finances especially make that difficult. I was out of home by this time. we always get on much better when she is house sitting. Actively seeks me out then. On the plus side, I am envious of the relationship you & Cleo have. You seem so close.
And there is nothing really we can do to help them is there. It is their journey, & needs to be faced themselves.
Love love
Helga xxx