A Free Man and his Encumberances
A Strange Scottish Girl
There are others too; some who have become facebook friends; people I would be seeing for coffee regularly if we were not separated by thousands of miles.
As the tyranny of facebook took hold we found ourselves coming here less and less. Our posts became shorter and less detailed. Our 'writing' became 'note making'.
And then the purpose of this blog became difficult to manage. As the objects of my 'parenting' became increasingly more salient beings with minds and opinions of their own, there came a time when I could no longer post willy nilly about their everyday happenings. Where they had been delighted to see themselves on the blog page they became blase, irritated and somewhat possessive of their own images (ironic given the wanton abandon with which they post them on facebook!)
And I could no longer comment on the parenting process as the subjects of this process were waaaay too alert and attuned to my activities. More and more as I needed to talk about my parenting journey I was able to use my forum less and less.
A salient lesson for all parents. Don't TELL them you have a blog :-D
I think they've stopped looking........
Unfortunately, so has everyone else :-D
But hey, the autobiographical nature of this blog meets a need for me. The ability to look (and read) back on things I think I remember and to be surprised (delighted/mortified) at the reality of the moment, is such a gift. My scrap-booking has fallen by the wayside recently, even my photo-taking has dropped off. Occasionally in a sodden, hormonal state I may scrawl in a real life journal (most of which I cannot read the next day) but in reality, much of life at the moment is racing by in a superficially facebook notated glaze. I gotta tell you, facebook is a poor cousin to blogging.
And such momentous things have been happening.
Here is a random 'round-up':
- my 17 year old daughter has finished school and looks toward her future
- she also thinks I am irritating and lame
- having been my best picture going buddy for years she now wants to see things like 'Prometheus' and 'Hideous Scarey Paranormal Death Movie' (oh, alright, I know that's not a real movie....but you get the picture!)
- actually, she would rather go anywhere with her boyfriend rather than with me
- my 17 year old (under aged) daughter recently asked me to provide her with alcohol for a party(wt?????????????????) .
- This year she was dumped by her first (long term) boyfriend
- She has since met and started seeing a 20 year old young man who is in the ARMY!!!!! On a good note, he's a Christian, on a neg note....he will be deployed shortly.......
- my 14 year old stepson no longer comes to stay with us
- he continues to ask for taxi services and money
- he has recently been diagnosed with a specific learning difficulty (thank you step mother for noticing that I was struggling!!!!!! .........>:-( .....as if)
- there has been a whole lot more interaction between the Small Boy's mother and Himself (a good thing) and he may even change schools and go to the independent school we had initially suggested (....I really hope she offers to go halves) which has to be good for him! I hope.
- A few months back I completely lost it with the Small Boy (see point 8)
- My shoulder injury earlier in the year really impacted on my health, fitness and attitude. I put on a HEAP of weight. More than I have EVER put on before. Menopause may have had an impact on this.
- I WENT THROUGH MENOPAUSE!!!!!!!! (WTF????)
- We came into some money (Praise God!!!!)
- We absorbed a lot of it in clearing up some issues with our business >:-(
- Our partner did a runner. >:-(
- We discovered we were a lot better off without him! :-D
- I started working at the business in a bill paying, book keeping capacity!
- We have had some significant improvements made to our house. There are more to come!!
- My job has become increasingly stressful
- I still love my job
- We have heard nothing from No1 Son in 6 months. This is not a good thing.
- No 2 Son is still living downstairs with the cockroaches. At 23 he occasionally works as a builder's labourer with a friend. No girls visit (anything to do with cockroaches??) but he seems to be in a very happy relationship with his Playstation.
- I have had to make/buy a lot of formal dresses this year and another one is on the way!
- My sister visited in October and my Mum and Dad are here now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!