Words of Wisdom

Youth is wasted on the young.

Thursday 29 October 2009

Crafty Tuesday errrr....Thursday.....errrrrrrrrr Friday?

Having been laid low by a very nasty cold type flu virus thing for the last week, I have been pretty light-on the posting front I'm afraid. I had half a day off last Tuesday, then went back to work to share my germs around (I'm thoughtful like that), and predictably collapsed in a heap on Thursday and had Friday and Monday off with a miserable weekend in between. Yesterday back at school I actually felt semi-normal in the morning but by lunchtime was wilting and by 3pm was reduced to a sleep on the staff room sofa. With groaning. I hate it when you can't breathe with your mouth closed.

But I digress.

As a result of all this, and my general busy-ness, I missed Crafty Tuesday and I did have something I wanted to share so here it is. The Baby Angel's partly completed bridesmaidy wedding dress thingy. As you can tell I am having difficulty deciding what to call it as the BA is not a bridesmaid 'as such'. She is actually the dog wrangler.

Have I explained this before? I think I have. When The Bestie hooked up with Mumford, his only true love was a little chihuahuaxJackRussellxfox terrier called (to Blogland) Q. Of course he has had to make room in his heart for my Bestie and so little Q has been somewhat sidelined but not enough to be omitted from the wedding ceremony this Sunday. She will be the ring bearer.
Now as any good thespian knows, when you have animals peforming on set you must have a 'wrangler' on hand to ensure their safety and that they get enough schooling and are sent home to bed before 10pm and so forth (or is that children? ...meh, same difference). Q's main task is to walk down the 'aisle' (it's an outdoor wedding) and stand with the wedding party until the rings are called for, at which time she must sit up like a meerkat whilst The BA disengages the rings from her collar. There is even a special velcro device for the purpose!

Himself is disgusted by the whole idea. Even the BA is mildly embarrassed by the notion but she wanted a role in the wedding and this is what was on offer. It must be said she is not too proud to stoop to dog wrangling in order to get to wear a pretty dress! Which brings me to the dress.


You see it above, semi finished, hanging in the doorway. I still have to add cap sleeves in lace, motifs around the bodice/skirt seam, finishing the lining at the back and hand sew the full circle hem. Plenty of time. The wedding's on Sunday.

9 comments:

HipMomma said...

Well, I can't wait to see it on her. She's just beautiful, she'd look great in anything.

Jill said...

Well I'm sorry you're not feeling good but GLAD you've been light on the posting. I've been heavy on the parent-teacher conferences, a funeral, family in town (not for the funeral), and ruining my gal's life. So I haven't had much time for reading.

Dog wrangler...can she toss some flowers as she wrangles? Will the dog be on a leash?

The dress came out great!!!!! My teaching partner wants to be our flower girl. And why the heck not? I think it would be kind of funny...unless my gal was thinking she'd have that job. Then again, I guess 14 is kind of old for flower girl, right? Which would disqualify both our gals. But my 30-something year old teaching partner, that would be funny. :-)

I hope you're feeling better & if not have some more sick days so you don't have to sleep on the couch any more. I know the one in our staff room isn't so very comfortable.

Arizaphale said...

Hipmomma: what? you don't like the dress? :-)

Jill: At 14 your gal can be a bridesmaid I think...but still your teaching partner should definitely be a flower girl. Complete with a basket of petals which she tosses in front of you as you walk down the aisle :-D. Just watch she doesn't pull focus off you!!! Got a date yet? As to the leash..yes, Q has a bright red harness and leash thing to match the bride's dress. And she hates it! As soon as you get it out her ears droop, her head goes down, she starts to buckle at the knees.It is HILARIOUS! You have never seen a more passive aggressive response. Still, the groom assures us she will perform on the day. Could be some performance I fear :-D I am gradually coming good after this virus but still not 100% Good to hear you have been busy. Ruin that girl's life I say! You go mama!

Stacy said...

It is beautiful! She will look gorgeous in it. :) I can't wait to see pictures. OH, and you have PLENTY of time. :)

Jill said...

No date yet. We're trying to get that figured out right now. We have a couple of perspective dates & waiting on the rabbi to see if he's available. I emailed him the day before yesterday and of course that feels like forever ago...

SSG said...

that is awesome

chaoticfamily said...

Looks lovely.

A Free Man said...

So? How was it?

Andi said...

Such a lovely, lovely dress! You are AMAZING...I know I have said that before. I know it will be a perfect day, and you all will look stunning. :)

So hope you are better. I hate that kind of cold, sickness, whatever...it is a nasty thing that will often not go away. Had it last month myself which is why it has been forever since I have posted, commented, etc...I got SO far behind on everything!
Well wishes to you!